| | Associated Press
DULUTH, Minn. -- Duluth East senior Rick Rickert, one of the
country's top high school basketball players, said Wednesday he has
decided to attend Arizona instead of Minnesota.
Rickert made the announcement in front of more than 100
onlookers and reporters in his high school gym. He said he chose
Arizona because he would have the opportunity to play right away
there.
Rickert said he had called Minnesota coach Dan Monson and
Arizona coach Lute Olson to tell them of his decision.
Rickert had planned to announce his college choice last week,
but delayed it when the NCAA announced it would rule on the
Gophers' academic fraud case this week. The NCAA penalties
announced Tuesday included four years of probation but no
postseason ban.
| |
ALSO SEE
NCAA hits Gophers hoops with four years' probation
|