Felton arrested on gun charges

The wife of Raymond Felton has alleged that he threatened her with a firearm, according to multiple reports, and the New York Knicks point guard remained in police custody Tuesday after his arrest on gun charges.

Police said Felton turned himself in at 12:50 a.m. ET Tuesday, not long after the Knicks lost to the Dallas Mavericks on a buzzer-beater at Madison Square Garden.

Before the game, an attorney for Ariane Raymondo-Felton arrived at a Manhattan police precinct and turned over a Belgian-made FN Herstal pistol, police spokesman Sgt. Lee Jones said. Ramondo-Felton went to the precinct later that night and made a statement to detectives, police said.

Felton made no statement after he arrived at the precinct with a lawyer, police said. He was charged with second- and third-degree criminal possession of a firearm, which are felonies, and fourth-degree possession of a firearm, a misdemeanor, a police spokesman told ESPNNewYork.com. Police said Felton was in possession of a gun he wasn't registered to own.

Court records show Raymondo-Felton, a student at Fordham University School of Law, filed for divorce from Felton on Feb. 18.

Felton is expected to appear in criminal court in Manhattan later Tuesday.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league is monitoring the situation. A Knicks spokesman said the team had no immediate comment on Felton's arrest.

The Knicks next play on Thursday at Miami.

Felton, 29, signed a three-year, $10 million contract with the Knicks before the 2012-13 season. He has struggled this season, his ninth in the NBA, shooting 40.3 percent from the field and 29.6 percent from 3-point range while averaging 10.4 points per game. The Knicks offered him in several packages before Thursday's trade deadline but couldn't complete a deal.

New York City has strict gun possession laws.

In 2009, New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress was sentenced to two years in prison after accepting a plea deal on a firearm charge following an incident in which he suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his thigh when his gun went off in a Manhattan nightclub. He faced a minimum sentence of 3½ years if convicted at trial.

"I just thought immediately that it was an unfortunate situation for Raymondo-Felton because I had been through something of that nature," Burress said Tuesday on ESPN's "Outside The Lines" of his first thoughts after he learned of Felton's situation.

"I don't really know the facts of what exactly he is going through or what happened. But it is just one of those things where I think the support system will come together and support him. I believe that the [fans] of New York will support him. It may not be easy, but I believe that he will get through it."

ESPNNewYork.com's Ian Begley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.