<
>

Golden Boy suspension lifted

The New York State Athletic Commission on Tuesday lifted a 90-day license suspension it handed out to Golden Boy Promotions on July 9 for its failure to turn over copies of required documents in a timely manner following its May 15 boxing card held at the Madison Square Garden Theater.

The commission, which received the proper paperwork last week after suspending Golden Boy, also fined Oscar De La Hoya's Los Angeles-based company $10,000 at a hearing.

Besides copies of agreements for specific fights on a card, New York rules also require promoters to file copies of their general promotional agreements with fighters who appear on cards in the state.

Typically, this takes place after an event, especially with an out-of-state promoter such as Golden Boy. But nearly two months after the show, New York had still not received the paperwork and suspended the company's license.

Golden Boy contended that it was an oversight because the employee responsible for handling the contracts was out of the office for a couple of weeks and the person put in charge while he was away did not handle it properly.

The HBO-televised card featured junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan of England scoring an 11th-round TKO of New Yorker Paulie Malignaggi in the main event with junior welterweight Victor Ortiz outpointing Nate Campbell in the co-feature.

When the suspension was originally handed down, some boxing media reported that it was related to financial impropriety and a failure to properly disclose to Campbell and Ortiz what HBO had paid for the bout under the rules of the federal Muhammad Ali act.

The commission's report, a copy of which was provided to ESPN.com by Golden Boy, said nothing about financial misconduct or a violation of the Ali act. It said the reason for the suspension was related only to Golden Boy's failure to provide the contracts.

"Golden Boy has acknowledged an error [arising from the absence of key personnel for a short period of time] with respect solely to its timely production, and has therefore paid a $10,000 fine," Golden Boy said in a statement.

Golden Boy further went after writer George Kimball, a veteran beat reporter who penned the original piece making accusations on a boxing website that the company had hidden the financial terms of the fight, as well as making other accusations related to the money paid by HBO. The article was removed from the website a few days later when attorney Judd Burstein, representing Golden Boy, threatened legal action.

"While Golden Boy made some procedural errors, the real story here is how supposedly reputable journalists, such as Mr. Kimball, feel free to write affirmatively false stories which they either know to be false or should have known to be false by simply reading the relevant documents," Golden Boy's statement said.

Golden Boy said it is considering legal action against the outlets that published Kimball's stories, but would prefer a retraction and apology.

Kimball did not respond to an email from ESPN.com seeking comment.