Jones will need more surgery

Chad Jones is being transferred to New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center on Tuesday by the New York Giants to undergo plastic surgery and possibly additional orthopedic procedures, according to the team.

The rookie safety underwent eight hours of surgery to repair fractures in his left leg and ankle and to improve blood flow to his left foot at LSU Public Hospital in New Orleans on Friday. Jones remained there with his family until Tuesday, when the team arranged for a MedJet Assist to fly him from Louisiana to New York.

"Chad has received outstanding medical care from the doctors and nurses in New Orleans since his accident. They've shown great compassion," said Ronnie Barnes, Giants vice president of medical services. "After consulting with our doctors, Chad's doctors at LSU and his family felt like this move to New York was the next logical step in his care and recovery."

Al Jones, the safety's father, said on Monday night that his son required skin graft surgery for his leg, and potentially other procedures could occur depending on his son's recovery. He said Jones was in good spirits and recovering well and was talking about playing football again for the Giants.

New Orleans Police Department officer Shereese Harper confirmed that alcohol does not appear to be a factor in Jones' car wreck last Friday. Police did not issue toxicology tests -- as previously reported -- which Harper said typically is done when a person is deceased. She said that a breathalyzer could not be administered because Jones had to be rushed to the hospital and a blood test wasn't taken because Jones was in surgery when officers arrived to the hospital.

"When the officer was interviewing the other two individuals that were in the car at the time, there was no reason to believe that alcohol was involved," Harper said by telephone on Tuesday. "They did not smell alcohol. Everything checked out OK. It is undetermined why he lost control of the vehicle and struck the pole."

Jones lost control of his Range Rover reportedly because he was trying to get off streetcar tracks on the road. Jones was cited with careless operation of a vehicle and police are still investigating the accident.

Jones was accompanied by his girlfriend on the MedJet Assist flight. His parents flew to New York with Charles Way, the Giants director of player development, on a commercial flight. Way had been with Jones at the hospital since Saturday.

"Charles Way has been a great resource for all of us -- Chad, his family and our organization -- since he arrived in New Orleans," Barnes said through a team statement. "Commissioner [Roger] Goodell called Chad and his family in the hospital on Sunday evening and offered to provide hotel accommodations while Chad is being observed and treated in New York. Everybody has been very supportive."

Ohm Youngmisuk covers the Giants for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.

More from ESPNNewYork.com »