Mario Manningham, Domenik Hixon hurt

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Mario Manningham suffered a concussion and did not pass his baseline concussion tests on the New York Giants sideline at the end of the first half of a 28-16 win over the St. Louis Rams on Monday night.

The wide receiver will face further tests this week and coach Tom Coughlin hopes he will be available to play against the Philadelphia Eagles next Sunday.

"Evidently it was right at the end of the first half," Coughlin said. "He bobbled that ball, the big play ball. I guess when he came in he was kind of dizzy at that point in time."

It was a tough day for the wide receiver corps. Domenik Hixon left the game after hurting his calf on the same leg that underwent ACL surgery last season. Hakeem Nicks was questionable going into the game with a bruised knee.

Both Nicks and Hixon said they felt fine after the 28-16 win over the Rams.

"Any more tight ends in the crowd?" Coughlin said. "We'll get the medical report, do the best we can with it."

Both Manningham and Hixon said their injuries were less severe than first thought. Manningham (three catches for 56 yards) left early in the third quarter and was later announced as out with a concussion. Manningham seemed to think it was just a neck injury, though.

"My neck stiffened up, man," Manningham said. "But I'll be good."

Even though Manningham will be evaluated further, Coughlin said he hopes the fourth-year player will be able to play against the Eagles next Sunday.

"Hopefully he's not too bad," Coughlin said.

Hixon (two catches for 29 yards and a touchdown) left the game after injuring his right calf on a 22-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter. He briefly returned in the third, but after playing in a series was sent back to ride the bike behind the Giants bench and soon was taken out of the game for good with what was described as a knee injury.

"I know his confidence was a little bit rattled and I hope that's all it was," Coughlin said.

Hixon said that was a fair description of what happened. He hurt his right calf on the same leg where he had ACL surgery last season, and trainers were concerned the knee had been affected. Hixon said he felt fine but was taken out of the game as a precaution.

"Absolutely," Hixon said. "Plus if I needed to go or had to go ..."

Although listed as questionable heading into the game with a bone bruise, Nicks was the last starting wide receiver standing at the end of the Giants game. Nicks may have been healthy, but he caught just three of the seven passes thrown his way for 15 yards. He had a three-yard touchdown in the mix, and a pass interference call that put the Giants on the nine-yard line.

"The more that we can do as a group of receivers the more they can't focus on one guy," Nicks said. "We are very versatile. We've got guys in the slot and guys on the outside. We can do a lot of things."

Jane McManus covers the NFL for ESPNNewYork.com.