John Moore faces potential discipline

MONTREAL -- New York Rangers defenseman John Moore will have a hearing Wednesday for his illegal hit to the head of Canadiens forward Dale Weise during the Rangers' 7-4 loss in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals Tuesday night at Bell Centre.

The NHL Department of Player Safety announced the hearing, which will take place at 2:30 p.m. ET, via its Twitter account after the game.

Moore was assessed a match penalty at 10:41 of the third period, when he drilled Weise.

Weise was disoriented after the play and had to be supported by P.K. Subban as he appeared to regain his balance.

Weise briefly went to the league-mandated "quiet room" designated to treat potential head injuries. He returned to the game later in the third period.

After the game, several of Weise's teammates spoke about the hit and anticipated that Moore would be in line for the same sort of supplementary discipline their teammate Brandon Prust received when he crushed Rangers forward Derek Stepan with a blindside hit that broke Stepan's jaw in Game 3.

"We didn't like that hit," Habs forward Brendan Gallagher said of Moore's play. "For me, comparing it to the hit that Prusty had, Prusty's was late and that was the right call by the league, but I think this one was late as well and at the same time it had the blind side and Weiser's helmet came off. It was just a dangerous play, and we'll let the league take care of it."

Max Pacioretty echoed his teammate's thoughts, saying, "We weren't happy with it on the bench."

Rangers coach Alain Vigneault didn't try to defend the play when asked about it after the game.

"The league will do what it has to do," Vigneault said. "John is definitely not the type of player to try to hurt someone, but it was a late hit and it was the right call on the ice."

Should Moore be suspended for Game 6, or the remainder of the series, depth defenseman and former Canadien Raphael Diaz will likely draw into the lineup.

Whether the hit will fuel building enmity between the two teams remains to be seen, but emotions boiled over at the end of the game with a heated skirmish that resulted in hat-trick hero Rene Bourque receiving a five-minute major for cross checking and a 10-minute misconduct.

There also was an alleged head-butting incident by Rangers forward Derek Dorsett on Mike Weaver, although Weaver wasn't quite sure of what all went down after the buzzer.

"Dorsett's just running around. That's the type of player he is, a guy that runs around with his head cut off, pretty much trying to stir up something," Weaver said. "It's not needed. He's trying to get something going for the next game."

Those two incidents will also be reviewed by the Department of Player Safety on Wednesday.

Weaver said the chaos at the time left him uncertain of the game's aftermath.

"So many things happened. I don't really know," he said. "I was more concentrating on the puck, where the puck was. I wasn't really worried about what he was doing."