Wednesday, May 16
Glenn enters innocent plea to charges

WRENTHAM, Mass -- New England Patriots receiver Terry Glenn pleaded innocent Wednesday to a charge that he assaulted the mother of his 5-year-old son during an argument.


Glenn, also charged with intimidation of a witness, was released on $1,000 bail and ordered not to abuse the woman, who was identified in court documents as Kimberly Combs. A pretrial conference was set for July 17, just 10 days before Patriots veterans are scheduled to report to training camp.

"He looks forward to having the matter resolved in court," Glenn's attorney, Joe Cataldo said. "He's adamant that he did not do anything of a criminal nature."

In a statement released by the Patriots early Wednesday evening, the team said it would wait for the legal process to conclude before deciding whether to take any action. But it called violence against women "an egregious offense."

Wed, May 16
If Patriots wide receiver Terry Glenn is convicted of an assault charge against the mother of his 5-year-old child, he could stand to lose millions of dollars.
More from Clayton...

"That is why we consider the charges against Terry Glenn as extremely serious allegations that deeply concern us," the team said. "... We will continue to provide Terry with any personal and professional assistance he needs, through and beyond the resolution of this matter."

Details of Glenn's dispute were not revealed in court, according to David Traub, a spokesman for the Norfolk County district attorney's office. Walpole police would not release the incident report.

But Glenn's agent, James Gould, said the argument occurred at Glenn's home on Tuesday night while the couple was trying to reconcile.

"There was no hitting involved," Gould said. "It's a very personal matter between he and the mother of his child. It was just a domestic squabble. The details of it are going to stay private."

Gould said the couple has remained close over the past 5½ years, and Combs was visiting Glenn at his Walpole, Mass., home.

"It's obviously a downturn," Gould said. "(They were) trying to find a way to raise the child together, to be together. ... Whether he's a ballplayer or not, he's a human being and they've obviously got issues, and they're trying to resolve it."

New England drafted Glenn out of Ohio State with the seventh pick of the 1996 draft. He set an NFL rookie record with 90 receptions in his first year, but he was hampered by injuries that caused him to miss 14 games over his first three seasons.

But injuries haven't been his only problem.

In 1999, Glenn was charged with going at least 65 mph in a 30 mph zone, running one car off the road, on his way to a Thanksgiving Day practice. Later that season, he was suspended for the final game for failing to report for failing to keep in touch with the team while sick with the flu.

In 2000 -- his first injury-free season -- Glenn was second on the team with 79 receptions, and led the team with 964 receiving yards and six touchdown catches. Last November he signed a contract extension through the 2007 season.

But in December he was in trouble -- or at least near it -- again when he and two other players asked if they could stay in Buffalo overnight after a game there rather than fly back during a snowstorm. The players decided to go to a strip club across the Canadian border.

Customs officers stopped cornerback Ty Law on his way back and found the hallucinogenic drug Ecstasy. Glenn and receiver Troy Brown were not in the car with Law, but they missed their plane while waiting for him and missed a team meeting back at Foxboro Stadium.

Gould said that this week's legal problems won't affect Glenn's workouts.

"He's been working very diligently on this season. That's why he's come up to New England," the agent said. "It won't affect his practices in any way."

 ESPN Tools
Email story
Most sent stories