A trial date was set for Sept. 12, the day after the Redskins open their season.
State prosecutors filed charges Friday against the 22-year-old
former University of Miami star. He faces a single count of
aggravated assault with a firearm and a misdemeanor charge of
simple battery, said Michael Greico, assistant state attorney.
Taylor allegedly was among a group of people who got into a June
1 armed confrontation over a vehicle the player and his associates
believed had been stolen. Another man in the group, 19-year-old
Charles Caughman, also faces aggravated assault charges. He is
accused of threatening and chasing someone with a baseball bat.
Taylor, the No. 5 overall draft pick by the Redskins in 2004,
did not appear in court and has filed a written plea of not guilty.
His attorney, Edward Carhart, said his client hoped to avoid
charges after meeting with prosecutors voluntarily and presenting
polygraph test results the lawyer said clear Taylor of wrongdoing.
Polygraph results usually are not admissible in court.
Greico said the charges involve three victims. He would not
comment on the substance of the case but said Taylor faces a
maximum prison term of 16 years.
Taylor signed a seven-year, $18 million deal with the Redskins
after he was drafted. The team has excused him from further
offseason practices and meetings so he can concentrate on his case.
Taylor was charged with drunken driving in October after
attending a birthday party for receiver Rod Gardner. Those charges
were dismissed, but Taylor was convicted for refusing to take a
blood-alcohol test. The conviction was later dismissed.
Taylor also has fired two agents, was fined for skipping one day
of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium and was accused of spitting
on a player during a game at Cincinnati.