Foley shot by off-duty officer; injuries to leg, arm, chest

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was shot near
his upscale suburban house by an off-duty policeman early Sunday
morning in his second brush with police in 4½ months. Coach Marty
Schottenheimer said the wounds were not life-threatening.

"All we're worried about is that he's OK," Schottenheimer told
The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Foley's agent, David Levine, told the AP that Foley was shot
three times and had surgery for wounds to his leg, arm and chest.

"He's out of danger at this point," Levine said.

The Chargers will open the season at Oakland on Sept. 11, the
day Foley turns 31.

Sheriff's officials said the early morning shooting occurred
after the off-duty Coronado police officer followed a suspected
drunken driver weaving in and out of freeway traffic at speeds up
to 90 mph. Authorities said the driver nearly collided with several
other vehicles.

Foley stopped three times, sheriff's officials said. During one
of the stops, Lisa Maree Gaut, a passenger in the vehicle, yelled
at the officer, authorities said.

The shooting occurred after Foley got out of the vehicle near
his home and began walking toward the officer, sheriff's officials
said. Gaut got behind the wheel and drove next to Foley in the
direction of the officer, the officials said.

The officer identified himself, authorities said, and warned
Foley he was armed. He fired a warning shot, at which point Gaut
steered the car at the officer, sheriff's officials said.

"The officer fired two rounds at the vehicle," sheriff's Lt.
Dennis Brugos said. "The male then came at the officer and put his
right hand by his waistband and the officer fired at him."

Paramedics were called to the neighborhood in Poway, northeast
of San Diego, at 3:47 a.m. and transferred a trauma victim to Sharp
Memorial Hospital.

Sheriff's officials wouldn't say how many times Foley was shot
or what, if any, charges will be filed against him.

Coronado police also declined to give any information about the
off-duty officer. Coronado, a wealthy peninsular enclave, is across
the bay from downtown San Diego. Sheriff's officials said the
off-duty officer first encountered Foley on a freeway in northern
San Diego.

Gaut, 25, was booked into Las Colinas Detention Facility on
suspicion of DUI and assault with a deadly weapon. Bail was set at
$17,500. She was scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

Meanwhile, authorities towed a Cutlass Supreme with a purple
interior late Sunday afternoon from the neighborhood of spacious
ranch homes, large lots and towering eucalyptus trees.

Neighbor Kent Goodman said the car belonged to Foley. According
to the Chargers' media guide, Foley and his father restored a 1971
Cutlass Supreme.

Another neighbor, Rick Jennings, said he was awake at 3:40 a.m.
when he heard yelling outside. He went outside after hearing two
loud pops he thought were firecrackers.

"I heard a female scream, 'Let it go! No, no, no!' And then
four more shots. I heard more screaming and then two more shots and
in seconds the first marked officer showed up."

Goodman, who lives three doors from Foley, said he awoke to what
he thought was the revving of Foley's car.

"It sounded like his car backfired a couple times. A few
seconds passed and I heard more revving and then rapid shots. They
were in rapid succession," Goodman said.

Foley had lived at the Poway home for about 1½ years.

Foley, who played at Northeast Louisiana from 1994-97, has
played eight seasons in the NFL, for Cincinnati, Houston and San
Diego. He signed with the Chargers in March 2004. That year he set
career highs with 10 sacks and five forced fumbles.

Foley was arrested April 21 on charges of resisting arrest after
police said he scuffled with officers. He also was booked on
charges of battery on a police officer and public drunkenness.

The district attorney's office said recently it was not pursuing
charges against Foley in that incident.

The Chargers did not practice on Sunday.