Arrington suffers multiple injuries in accident

LANHAM, Md. -- Former Redskins and Giants linebacker
LaVar Arrington was hospitalized with serious but not life-threatening
injuries after his motorcycle crashed on a highway ramp Monday,
police said.

Arrington's agent, Carl Poston, told ESPN.com's Michael Smith that it was his understanding that Arrington suffered a broken bone in his arm, three broken bones in his leg, cuts and bruises.

Arrington lost control and hit a guardrail, Maryland State
Police Sgt. Russell Newell said. He said police did not know how
fast Arrington was traveling.

Arrington, who turns 29 Wednesday, was wearing a helmet and
alcohol was not involved in the accident, Newell said. Arrington
was issued two citations -- one for operating the motorcycle without
a proper license and the other for the crash itself.

Arrington's attorney, Rosalyn Pugh, said Arrington was expected to remain at Prince George's Hospital Center overnight and his condition would be reevaluated in
the morning. Arrington's mother, father and wife were at his
bedside, she said.

LaVar Arrington


"I've spoken with his wife and she says he's in good spirits,"
Pugh said.

Washington drafted Arrington No. 2 overall in 2000, and he made
three Pro Bowl appearances. Arrington bought out his contract after
the 2005 season.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs issued a statement wishing Arrington
"a full and speedy recovery."

Arrington then joined the Giants but tore his Achilles tendon
in October and played only six games last season. New York released
him in February as part of a salary cap purge under new general
manager Jerry Reese, leaving Arrington to rehabilitate his injury
while looking for another team.

While with the Redskins, Arrington became the team's most
popular player and signed an eight-year, $68 million contract
extension near the end of the 2003 season.

But Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs returned to the team with a new
coaching staff in 2004, and Arrington's relationship with
Washington began to sour. He hurt his knee early in the 2004 season
and played in only four games.

In April 2005, after a second knee operation, Arrington
criticized team officials for failing to support him during his
injury. He also became involved in a dispute with Redskins owner
Dan Snyder over a $6.5 million bonus Arrington said was missing
from the final version of his contract.

The contract dispute was eventually settled, but Arrington then
had a hard time getting on the field. He was used sparingly in the
first six games of 2005 and didn't play at all in a loss against
Denver. There was a sense that Arrington didn't fit well with
defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' disciplined schemes.

Arrington did return to the starting lineup, yet still was not
an every-down player and did not have the impact of years past. He
finished 2005 without a sack.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.