Attorneys agree to extend Moss restraining order

BOSTON -- A temporary restraining order against Randy Moss
was extended until March 28 while the New England Patriots wide
receiver was in Arizona on Monday preparing for the Super Bowl.

Moss' lawyer, Richard Sharpstein, said the decision came at a
hearing in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after he learned the player's
longtime friend changed attorneys. She obtained the order Jan. 14.

Rachelle Washington's new attorney is Darrell Thompson, who
replaces David McGill. A spokesman for Thompson confirmed the
change. McGill did not return calls.

The temporary order requires Moss to stay at least 500 feet from
Washington. No criminal charge has been brought. Washington, 35,
alleged they had been in an "intimate relationship" since 1997.

Moss has denied the accusation by Washington that he committed
"battery causing serious injury" to her at her Florida home Jan.
6. Washington did not attend Monday's session, Sharpstein said.

"He will stay completely away from her and has no desire to
have contact with her," the lawyer told The Associated Press.
"He's in Phoenix busy preparing to win the Super Bowl and on a day
like today his mind is elsewhere."

Moss defended his conduct during an interview in the Patriots'
locker room on Jan. 16. Four days later, New England beat San Diego
21-12 in the AFC Championship Game at Foxborough. For the second
straight game, he caught just one pass.

On draft day last April, the Patriots sent a 2007 fourth-round
draft choice to Oakland for Moss. He set an NFL season record of 23
touchdown catches, breaking Jerry Rice's mark by one. He finished
tied for eighth in the league with 98 catches and second with 1,493
yards receiving.

Moss said that Washington has been a friend for 11 years and she
asked for "six figures" for what he said was an accident in which
she was hurt.

"They're false allegations, something I've been battling for
like the last couple of days of threats going public if I didn't
pay X amount of dollars," Moss said. "This young lady by no means
is hurt. I didn't hurt her."

Sharpstein said Monday that McGill told him if Moss didn't agree
to pay "a great deal of money" by 5 p.m. on Jan. 11, the day
before the Patriots beat the Jacksonville Jaguars 31-20 in an AFC
divisional playoff game, McGill would go public.

"It's blackmail," Sharpstein said. "Extortion is the
technical crime."

McGill issued a statement Jan. 17, saying that Moss'
representatives were the first to suggest that Moss pay the woman
to keep the issue quiet.

"She has suffered mental and physical harm as a result of his
actions," the statement said. "She simply wants him to take
responsibility for what he has done. As a battery victim, she has
shown great strength throughout this entire ordeal."

Washington also alleged that Moss refused to allow her to seek
medical treatment. Moss denied that. Neither McGill nor Sharpstein
has specified the nature of an injury.

"He has acknowledged that he was at Ms. Washington's Florida
residence and that he was 'guilty' of an 'accident' which
occurred," the statement said.