A source close to free-agent running back Travis Henry has confirmed he has tested positive for marijuana again and is subject to a one-year suspension by the NFL.
The source said Henry will soon start serving the year suspension. An NFL spokesman said today that the league has no comment on Henry's status. Henry, 29, was released by the Denver Broncos on June 2, and a Broncos' source said Friday that the team did not know about Henry's positive test when he was released.
Henry was cut because he stopped showing up to work this spring while he was recovering from a nagging hamstring injury. A source close to Henry said Henry was informed of the positive test in May and the Broncos were not aware of it.
Last October Henry was suspended by the NFL for one year after a positive marijuana test. However, he won an appeal eight weeks later, overturning that suspension.
Because of this pending suspension, there is a strong likelihood Henry's career could be over because of his repeated issues and his advanced age for a running back. Henry, who previously played for Buffalo and Tennessee, signed a five-year, $22 million contract with Denver in the spring of 2007.
It appeared to be a good fit because Henry seemed custom-made for Denver's zone-blocking running scheme. After the first four games of last season, it was a perfect match as Henry was leading the NFL in rushing. But because of his off-field issues and nagging knee injuries, Henry's one season in Denver ended as a disaster.
In February, Henry took a drastic pay cut down to $1 million this season so he could stay with the Broncos. But the team's frustration with him this spring led to the Broncos cutting him.
Henry has 6,086 rushing yards and 38 rushing touchdowns in seven NFL seasons.
Bill Williamson covers the NFL for ESPN.com.