Man shot by Harrison's gun set for trial

PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia man shot with a gun owned by Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison is headed to trial Wednesday, accused of lying to police.

Dwight Dixon is scheduled to appear in a Philadelphia municipal court on a charge of making false sworn statements.

Dixon initially told police he was shot during a robbery but later accused Harrison of shooting him. Dixon's attorney, Robert Gamburg, said Dixon did not immediately identify Harrison because he was afraid of him.

Gamburg added Dixon was denied access to his attorney after being shot and spoke under duress.

"I'm shocked that the DA is going forward with it," Gamburg said.

The Philadelphia district attorney's office declined to comment Tuesday, and calls to Harrison's attorney, Jerome Brown, were not immediately returned.

The shooting last April happened near a North Philadelphia car wash owned by the All-Pro receiver that is about a half-mile from Playmakers, a bar he also owns.

According to an arrest report dated April 30, 2008, Dixon was interviewed by police officers at a hospital after being shot and identified himself as Malik Tucker. Dixon told police he had been robbed by two men and was shot during a struggle for a gun, the report said. Dixon later told other officers his real name and signed conflicting statements about where and how he was shot.

Joseph Santiguida, an attorney who represented Dixon in a previous criminal matter, said he went to the hospital immediately after Dixon called and said he'd been shot.

"I walk into his room and Dwight whispers to me, 'Marvin Harrison shot me,'" said Santiguida, who will testify as a witness Wednesday. "He didn't know what to do. He was worried about saying anything because of retribution if word got out and people thought he was a rat. It's a street thing."

When detectives entered the room to interview Dixon, Santiguida said he told police that Dixon did not want to talk.

Santiguida said he and the officers got into an argument, that police had hospital personnel order him to leave and then questioned Dixon.

The 32-year-old Dixon said he sustained "serious and permanent injuries" to his arm and body and a "severe shock" to his nervous system and filed suit last September against Harrison.

Three weeks ago, Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham announced that five of the six bullet casings found at the shooting scene came from Harrison's weapon, but investigators have conflicting witness accounts of who fired it.

The investigation remains open.

"It's not enough to say that a gun fired a bullet. I'm not prepared to say who fired the gun," Abraham said then.

Harrison was questioned by police soon after the shooting. Harrison said he was at his car wash at the time of the shooting; that he knew Dixon; and that the two had been in a fistfight two weeks earlier after Dixon tried to enter his bar with a gun, Abraham said.

Harrison said his gun had been at his suburban home on the day of the shooting and that it had not been fired since it was bought a year or two earlier, Abraham said.

Police found the weapon, a Belgian-made handgun, at Harrison's car wash a day after the shooting.