Pacman Jones charged after bar arrest

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones was arrested at a bar late Saturday night for disorderly conduct while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

Four months after settling a case that punctuated a slew of off-the-field trouble for the 27-year-old NFL veteran, he was taken into custody on the misdemeanors after being repeatedly asked to leave a Cincinnati bar for rowdy behavior, WKRC-TV has reported, citing court documents.

Jones was jailed around 3 a.m. Sunday and released later in the morning.

Two police officers were forced to physically restrain Jones to apply handcuffs as he fought to pull away, the TV report says. Jones had been yelling profanities and waving his arms violently, according to WKRC-TV.

Jones, who wears a neck brace as a result of an injury suffered last season, denied the allegations in an interview with WCPO-TV after leaving jail.

"I just had surgery, so why would I be resisting arrest?" Jones said.

He said he hadn't been drinking and was out with his wife to celebrate her birthday.

"It's ridiculous, man," Jones told the TV station. "I keep on going through the same thing, and it don't make no sense."

He also apologized to his fans and said he loves Cincinnati.

"Only thing I can do is be me and do what I'm supposed to do, but I was not yelling at the police. I did not yell profanity at the police. And at the end of the day ... I'm the bad guy," he said.

A Bengals spokesman said the team had no comment when contacted by The Associated Press. The team is prohibited from having contact with Jones because of the NFL lockout.

Jones has been recovering from a herniated disk in his neck suffered in Week 7 last fall that required surgery, but he was expecting to play this season.

Jones played five games last year for the Bengals before the injury, notching 11 tackles and an interception.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has stated that players will still be subject to review and discipline under the personal-conduct policy for potential violations during the lockout.

In late February, Jones was sentenced in Las Vegas to probation and 200 hours of community service under a plea deal for his role in a 2007 strip club melee.

Jones received a suspended sentence and was also ordered to receive anger management counseling. The sentence required Jones to undergo random drug testing.

Jones was Tennessee's first-round pick in 2005. Six arrests and a dozen instances involving police intervention scuttled his career. He was suspended for the 2007 season with Tennessee. The Cowboys signed him, but he was suspended for six games in 2008 for an alcohol-related scuffle with a bodyguard provided by the team.

He sat out for a year before signing a two-year deal with Cincinnati in May 2010. Police there questioned him last fall after he drove his vehicle over a downtown curb to avoid an obstacle and then apologized to him, saying it was a mistake and he'd done nothing wrong.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.