But no touchdowns for Owens

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Terrell Owens was a go. The rest of
the Philadelphia Eagles didn't quite match his stellar performance.

The Eagles' All-Pro receiver caught nine passes for 122 yards,
but Philadelphia lost 24-21 to the New England Patriots in the
Super Bowl on Sunday night.

Owens defied his doctor's advice and was in the starting lineup
just 6½ weeks after ankle surgery.

As a precautionary measure, the Eagles x-rayed Owens' right ankle and leg after the game to check for any damage. Trainer Rick Burkholder said afterward no damage was found.

"A lot of people in the world didn't believe I could play, but
my faith alone -- the power of prayer and the power of faith carried
me all the way,'' Owens said.

Right from the start, Owens was no decoy.

He caught a 7-yard pass on Philadelphia's second play -- his
first action since he severely sprained his ankle and broke his leg
in a game against Dallas on Dec. 19.

Owens had a 30-yard catch-and-run later in the first quarter,
setting up a first down at the Patriots 8, which the Eagles failed
to turn into points. After that catch, the flamboyant Owens flapped
his arms along the sideline.

He also had a 36-yard reception in the fourth quarter, but
didn't catch any of Donovan McNabb's three touchdown passes.

"For him to come back and play the way he played, I've got a
lot of respect for him,'' Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel said.

Owens was the target on McNabb's incomplete pass that started
the game, and he hauled in a 9-yard reception on the second

He appeared to have no trouble running his patterns, gaining
several yards after his catches. Owens seemed out of breath early
on when he went to the sideline, but didn't have to sit out plays.

He didn't have any receptions in the second quarter as McNabb
spread the ball around and had better success moving the offense,
but had two catches during Philadelphia's game-tying scoring drive
in the third quarter and six total in the second half.

"It's remarkable how he was able to come back and played so
well for us,'' McNabb said.

Two days after the Eagles won the NFC championship game, Dr.
Mark Myerson, the surgeon who operated on Owens' right ankle in
December, said he wouldn't clear him to play against the Patriots.

But Owens insisted he would be in the lineup -- not just standing
on the sideline leading cheers as he did in the NFC title game -- when Philadelphia made its first appearance in the Super Bowl sinc 1981.

It was a fitting stage for Owens, the playmaking, showboating,
brash-talking perennial Pro Bowl receiver.

In his first season with the Eagles after eight years in San
Francisco, Owens led Philadelphia with 77 catches for 1,200 yards
and 14 TDs. He invigorated the Eagles with his attitude, enthusiasm
and exceptional play, adding a swagger to a team that desperately
needed a personality.

Myerson inserted two screws in Owens' ankle and a plate on the
outside of the ankle three days after he was injured. Owens was
told after surgery that he had only an outside chance of returning
for the Super Bowl. But he rehabbed vigorously, hoping to help
Philadelphia win its first NFL championship since 1960.

With Owens, the offense was extremely potent, averaging 25.4
points in 14 games. After Owens was injured, the Eagles lost the
last two regular-season games -- but most starters hardly played and
others were rested.

The Eagles scored 27 points in each of their two playoff
victories without Owens. But they couldn't pull out a win with him.

"They're an elite team,'' Owens said. "We played sloppy, but
they made us play sloppy at times.''

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.