Derek Wolfe ruled out vs. Chiefs

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe was alert and recovering at a Denver hospital Saturday after suffering seizure-like symptoms when the team's bus pulled into the airport Friday afternoon for the flight to Kansas City.

Wolfe was treated by the team's medical staff and then transported by ambulance from the airport to the hospital. Wolfe was officially ruled out of Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The team went through its usual schedule of meetings Saturday, but several people described the incident as scary.

It was determined that Wolfe didn't suffer a stroke or a full-blown seizure, but the Broncos didn't specify the exact cause of his symptoms, saying only that he was doing better Saturday evening and that he was alert and communicating with others

It's not known when Wolfe will be released from the hospital or when he'll be cleared to resume football.

Wolfe went through Friday's practice without incident and had not been on the team's injury report through the week, but he has had a difficult year. He was taken from the field by ambulance during a preseason game in Seattle when he suffered a head and neck injury on a tackle. Wolfe experienced numbness in his limbs immediately following the play, but did return to Denver with the team following the game.

Wolfe was held out of practice for several days. He then had a bout with food poisoning in September and coaches said at that point he was having at least some difficulty keeping his weight up.

Wolfe is the third member of the organization to need emergency medical attention this month. Head coach John Fox underwent open heart surgery on Nov. 4 to replace his aortic valve.

Fox returned to Denver Wednesday and addressed the team in person for the first time since his surgery following practice on Thanksgiving Day. Fox is scheduled to return work Monday and did not make the trip to Kansas City.

Then on Nov. 18, safety Rahim Moore underwent surgery on his lower left leg to stop bleeding in the muscle sheath -- what the team's medical staff said was "lateral compartment syndrome.'' Moore had experienced pain and swelling in the leg after leaving the Broncos' Nov. 17 win over the Chiefs. Moore called the Broncos' head trainer Steve Antonopulos in the hours following the game and had surgery early the following morning.

ESPN.com Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold and The Associated Press contributed to this report.