Greg Hardy released from jail

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers star Greg Hardy was released from jail Wednesday following a domestic violence charge in a case in which both he and his girlfriend claim the other was the aggressor.

Mecklenburg County District Judge Rebecca Thorne Tin released Hardy on a bond set at $15,000 for assault and $2,000 for threats. She also ordered the Pro Bowl defensive end to have no contact with the woman, identified as 24-year-old Nicole Holder.

Tin also ordered Hardy to attend three Alcoholics Anonymous classes a week, noting that both parties were intoxicated at the time of the incident, which occurred after 4 a.m. ET Tuesday.

Holder filed a restraining order against Hardy on Wednesday. In the complaint, she accused Hardy of throwing her onto a couch covered with "assault rifles and/or shotguns."

"Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom," the complaint read. "I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders, arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe.

"He drug me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons."

In the complaint, Holder alleges that Hardy had 25 to 30 firearms in his apartment and that "he threatened to shoot me if I went to the media or reported his assaults to anyone.''

Hardy appeared in the Charlotte Mecklenburg County courtroom wearing an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs. He was released at 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, wearing a black tank top, black Panthers sweatpants and dark sunglasses.

He made no comment, staring straight ahead as he made his way from the jail property to a car.

Hardy's attorney, Chris Fialko, said his client was not the aggressor. Fialko said Hardy called 911 at 4:14 a.m. after Holder refused to leave his apartment.

"We're trying to get her out of my house and she keeps running back in every time," Hardy told the 911 operator. "My neighbor is outside witnessed everything. ... My manager is trying to restrain her she's trying to break free tried to hit me with her heel ... I'm literally running around.

"I'm inside the my apartment trying to get out but she's blocking ... she's at the door and she won't leave we've been trying to leave for an hour. I've asked her to leave a thousand times and she's hit me in the face twice. I'm trying to walk around and I can't walk through my kitchen because there's glass ... she broke glass.

The 911 operator then asks, "Has there been any drug usage?"

"I think she's on coke," Hardy replies. "She's been drinking. I don't know what she's on man she's out of it and she will not stop coming at me."

Holder's attorney, Stephen Goodwin, acknowledged that Hardy made a 911 call but disputed that his client was the aggressor.

"My client was not the aggressor by a long shot," said Goodwin, noting his client weighs less than 120 pounds and that Hardy is 6-foot-4 and weighs 290 pounds. "It was very violent. A lot of picking up and throwing."

Goodwin said Holder went to an emergency room Tuesday to have her injuries checked out. He said her elbows are the most painful but noted there are also bruises and abrasions on her wrists, arms, back, neck and shoulders.

Holder said some of the abrasions occurred while she was "struggling on the floor."

According to the warrant, another man held Holder down while Hardy called 911. Tin identified the man as Sammy Curtis, who sat in the courtroom next to Hardy's agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

Neither had a comment leaving the courthouse. Goodwin left open the possibility that charges could be filed against Curtis, Hardy's good friend and business associate.

"I think additional information is coming out on him later today," Goodwin said.

Fialko said Holder attempted to contact Curtis multiple times on Tuesday evening while Hardy spent the night in jail. Goodwin confirmed that.

"She is very scared," he said. "The attempt at contact is what you would think [from] a very scared young lady. ... She didn't want to get hurt any further."

Asked if there was any prior evidence of physical violence between Hardy and Holder, Goodwin said, "I don't want to prejudice that information. The answer to that question will come out in court."

"She has never filed a complaint," Goodwin added. "She has never taken any action on that front, but that information will come out on that front."

Hardy's next court appearance is set for June 27.

Goodwin said Hardy and Holder met while Holder was working as a waitress at a downtown restaurant. He said the two have been in a relationship since September, that they lived together for a time but have not for the past couple of months.

While Hardy was in court, a group that included Charlotte Police Chief Rodney Monroe was at Bank of America Stadium for a previously scheduled meeting to discuss domestic violence.

The Panthers had no further comment on Hardy's situation Wednesday. On Tuesday, the team issued a statement that said: "We are very disappointed to learn of the allegations involving Greg and are concerned for all parties as we continue to investigate."

Hardy, also known by his alter ego "The Kraken," led the team in sacks this past season with 15. He was given the franchise tag during the offseason, guaranteeing him $13.1 million in 2014.

Carolina general manager Dave Gettleman has said repeatedly he hopes to sign the 2010 sixth-round pick to a long-term contract.