The NFL said Monday it reached out to New Jersey law enforcement agencies four times between February and June to try to obtain video of what occurred between Ray Rice and his then-fiancee, Janay Palmer, inside an elevator at the Revel casino.
But the league was unable to come up with the video each time, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told ABC News.
"We reached out to multiple law enforcement agencies and a court but were unable to come up with the video," McCarthy said Monday. "With each of these efforts, it was 'give us everything.'"
According to McCarthy, on Feb. 19, an NFL security representative asked the Atlantic City Police Department for a copy of the incident report and was told to file an open-records request. The same representative called the county solicitor's office that day, but the solicitor's office had no role in the investigation.
The next day, NFL representatives asked New Jersey State Police for help but were told state police had no role in the investigation. On June 6, the security representative asked the director of the pretrial program Rice entered -- to avoid prosecution -- for all information about the incident and was told the police report was not available.
McCarthy said those details will be included in the report by Robert Mueller, who is investigating the way the NFL handled the Rice arrest. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Mueller investigation is expected to be finished by the end of the month. There had been some hope Mueller would be able to complete his investigation before Tuesday's NFL owners meetings in New York City, but he still has to meet with and speak to Rice. Once that happens, there's a sense the report could be done before November.
The NFL said this past week that it had no evidence the Rice tape was ever sent to or received by its offices or that a call was made from league lines by a woman confirming delivery of the tape.
A league official emailed reporters, including Schefter, in response to an Associated Press story about a law enforcement official saying he mailed a tape of the Rice incident to Jeffrey Miller, the NFL's senior vice president of security.
"Our office has found absolutely no evidence to support the claim of the anonymous law enforcement source that he sent a video to the NFL office or that he received a telephone call to his disposable cell phone from an unidentified female using an NFL line," the league said.
Rice, a former Pro Bowl running back for the Baltimore Ravens, was arrested on an assault charge in February in Atlantic City for hitting Palmer.
A police summons stated Rice had struck Palmer with his hand and knocked her unconscious. Rice has been accepted into New Jersey's pretrial intervention program, which enabled him to avoid jail time and could result in the charge being expunged from his record.
Initially, Goodell suspended Rice -- who has since married Palmer -- for two games. After criticism, Goodell announced new, stiffer penalties for future domestic violence cases. After video of the punch in the casino elevator was released, the Ravens cut Rice and Goodell suspended him indefinitely.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.