San Francisco 49ers fullback Bruce Miller, who was arrested in March on suspicion of domestic assault and reached a plea bargain earlier this week, apologized for the situation but maintained to reporters in Santa Clara that he never touched his then-fiancée in the altercation that preceded his arrest.
"Didn't happen," Miller said of any physical contact.
Miller, who returned to practice this week to close out OTAs, pleaded no contest Tuesday to a misdemeanor of disturbing the peace. He had initially been charged with misdemeanor vandalism after destroying his then-fiancée's cell phone in the argument, according to a release by the Santa Clara District Attorney's Office last month.
As part of the plea, Miller must complete a 16-week domestic violence counseling course and cannot have contact with his ex-fiancée before sentencing, which will not happen until after he completes the course.
Prosecutor Tyrone Wilson said in a statement Tuesday that Miller was "taking steps to address his underlying anger issues."
Miller did not necessarily agree with that characterization.
"I'm aware of what he said," Miller told reporters. "I'm aware of what he said. I'll deal with what I have to do to be a part of this football team."
Miller stayed away from the team as the legal process played out before joining in Santa Clara on Wednesday and practicing Thursday and Friday.
"I learned a lot about myself and different ways to deal with situations," Miller said. "But definitely learned a lot about me."
The Niners, after 10 voluntary OTA practices over the past three weeks, have a mandatory three-day minicamp next week, Tuesday through Thursday, before breaking for the summer.
"Yeah, it's good to see Bruce out here and good to see him running around," Niners coach Jim Tomsula said.
Miller was the seventh different 49ers player to be arrested since 2012, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
"People are going to think what they want to think," Miller said. "People that know me, I didn't have to explain myself one time."