After the Houston Texans evicted the Cincinnati Bengals from the ranks of the NFL's undefeated Monday night, star defensive end J.J. Watt had some fun tweaking the nickname of opposing quarterback Andy Dalton.
"Our goal was to come out here and make the Red Rifle look like a Red Ryder BB Gun, and I think we did that," Watt said after his Texans beat the Bengals 10-6 in Cincinnati.
That quote is fairly awesome, but it doesn't even rank among Watt's best. Watt is widely known as an extremely serious competitor who oozes motivational adages. That is true, but he also shares an underrated sense of humor on occasion.
With that in mind, here is one writer's list of the top 10 nuggets of wit and wisdom from J.J. Watt:
10. "There were a lot of people saying I was just a big white guy, that the team was taking a high character guy, not the best football player."
--On fans who booed his selection as the No. 11 overall pick in the 2011 draft
9. "Losing sucks even if it is an all-star game."
--On the AFC team losing to the NFC 62-35 in the 2013 Pro Bowl
8. "It's just kind of a reminder: This is the National Football League, not high school. Welcome to the show."
--On why he mocked Titans quarterback Zach Mettenberger with a "selfie" sack celebration
7. "What in the world is bae? And 'totes'?"
--In response to a Twitter admirer
6. "The people you surround yourself with can either help build you or help break you. Choose wisely."
--Advice to the world at large
5. "A sack is way better than any nightclub."
--On his commitment to football over nightlife
4. "That's a pretty tough life if you're cheering for somebody else to get injured. That's a man with a wife and kids. That's a man who's given a lot of effort and a lot of work to this city."
--On fans who cheered when Texans quarterback Matt Schaub was injured
3. "I shook her hand instead of hugging her. Then I left the room without proposing. It was a complete disaster."
--On meeting actress Jennifer Aniston
2. "Success isn't owned. It's leased, and rent is due every day."
--More advice for the world at large
1. "I have a limited amount of time to build a career out of football and be the best that I can be at this job. When this job is over, I have the rest of my life to do what I want with my time. Right now, my job is to watch film and work out and treat my body right. When I get done with football, then I can relax and drink as many beers as I want and hang out and be a regular guy. Right now, I am a football player, and I will sacrifice whatever is necessary to be the best."
--On whether he's too busy to have a personal life
Bonus: Best quote about J.J. Watt
"He's going to be a bust -- not a first-round bust but a bust in the Hall of Fame. The only players I've seen that can do what he can do with his intensity can be found in Canton."
That is what Texans coach Wade Phillips told the Houston Chronicle in July 2012, before Watt had even begun his second pro season.
It seemingly was an audacious quote at the time. In retrospect, it was inspired.