ST. LOUIS -- For the first time since he was shot twice in the head on Nov. 24, St. Louis Rams third-year wide receiver Stedman Bailey took to social media Friday night to offer an update on his status and send thanks for the support he has received.
Bailey had not spoken publicly since the shooting after undergoing extensive surgery the day after it happened. Before the surgery, doctors put Bailey in a medically induced coma to reduce swelling in his brain.
In the time since, Rams coach Jeff Fisher had offered periodic updates on Bailey's status.
On Monday, Fisher said Bailey is improving and told reporters that Bailey's girlfriend had sent a photo of him signing his name to teammates before last week's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Fisher also told the Rams' website that he saw a video of Bailey "walking down the hospital halls."
The Miami Gardens Police Department is handling the ongoing investigation into the shooting. According to police, Bailey was shot while sitting in a car around 8:45 p.m. ET on Nov. 24.
Police said Bailey's cousin, Antwan Reeves, and three others were in the car when another vehicle drove by and fired shots. Reeves also was shot and was taken in for surgery that night. His status is unknown. The three others, two of whom were minors, were unharmed, according to police.
In November, the NFL suspended Bailey four games for violating its substance abuse policy. He would have been eligible to return to the active roster Dec. 7.