Lions president Rod Wood on Thursday told 105.1 FM in Detroit that he doesn't have a sense of what Johnson plans on doing and that there is not a definitive timetable for the receiver to make a decision.
"I really don't [have a sense]," Wood said on the station. "And if I did, I wouldn't talk about it."
Wood said he and general manager Bob Quinn have spoken to Johnson and that the decision rests with the six-time Pro Bowler. Wood said the start of the new league year is not necessarily a deadline for Johnson because they want him to make a decision that is in his best interests.
That decision could change the Lions' plans for free agency, as Johnson's contract carries a $24 million cap hit for 2016. If he does opt to retire, it would leave the Lions with a large hole at the receiver position.
"Certainly, anything that we're going to decide in free agency -- and obviously, free agency will help us decide what we're going to do in the draft -- Calvin's decision will be part of that," Wood told 105.1 FM. "But that's not necessarily a deadline. It'd be nice to know what we're going to do, but it's not something that we're going to force on him to make a decision prior to free agency."
Johnson's plans for 2016 have been one of the team's hottest topics since he released a statement the week after the season ended saying he was examining his options and that he would make a decision in the "not-too-distant future."
The 30-year-old has dealt with knee, finger and ankle injuries over the past three seasons. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported last month Johnson had told Lions coach Jim Caldwell that 2015 was going to be his final season and that he had spoken with teammates Matthew Stafford and Stephen Tulloch about his future.
Johnson has 731 receptions for 11,619 yards and 83 touchdowns in his nine-year career.