<
>

Stephen Tulloch hopes future with Lions resolved in next few days

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Stephen Tulloch remains a Detroit Lion, but on Thursday morning he indicated the saga over whether or not he'll be with the team much longer could be coming to a conclusion.

The veteran linebacker said on Fox 2 Detroit that he hopes to have things finalized in the "next couple of days."

"We're working some things out," Tulloch said. "Hopefully in the next couple of days we can come to medium ground with things and figure out what we're going to do and, like I said, my agent and the team are handling things, working some things out.

"Hopefully in the next couple days, we can kind of finalize some things."

Tulloch was told in February that he likely was not going to be part of Detroit's plans for 2016 and was eventually going to be released. The Lions kept him on the roster through the start of the new league year, the NFL draft and even voluntary organized team activities, which Tulloch has not been present for.

He told the Detroit Free Press at a book signing Thursday morning that if he is still with the Lions next week during mandatory minicamp, he plans on showing up if the team plans to fine him in order to take back some money from him.

The Lions paid him a $500,000 roster bonus in March even after telling him he was no longer part of their plans.

"It's been a long journey," Tulloch told the Free Press. "Obviously, I was told back in February that the team kind of wanted to go in a younger direction, which is understandable, but we had some things to work out in between, between that, that's why kind of things haven't really unfolded.

"But hopefully we can resolve things in the next couple days, hopefully, and kind of get things under wrap and we can kind of finalize things."

Tulloch declined to tell the Free Press what those issues are, other than to say he is not dealing with any injuries.

The Lions have also offered little comment on Tulloch's status, other than saying it is a contractual issue. On Monday, general manager Bob Quinn offered no update on what was going on with Tulloch. Tulloch's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also offered no update to ESPN earlier this week.

While he waits for a resolution, Tulloch said he's been training and preparing to play in 2016 ... somewhere.

"I've been training and getting ready for the season, whether it be here or anywhere," Tulloch told the Free Press. "I just been training, getting ready. I know that a couple people reached out when they found out earlier in the offseason [I was going to be released], but obviously it's been 3½ months.

"But like I said, I'm a professional, I've been staying fit, doing what I have to do, and hopefully things can get resolved here in the next two or three [days], soon. But looking forward to getting it over with."

Tulloch was Detroit's leading tackler last season. Asked on Fox 2 what his gut feeling is regarding a resolution, he didn't offer much.

"My gut is we gotta wait and find out," Tulloch said. "Couple more days, we'll see."