Bucs' Dominique Robertson shot twice; police investigating incident

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie offensive lineman Dominique Robertson was recovering Saturday night from two gunshot wounds after what his attorney described as the misfortune of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Robertson, 21, was standing outside an apartment complex in Loma Linda, California, and talking to a friend at around 3 a.m. Thursday when a vehicle pulled up and shot in his direction, according to his attorney, Zulu Ali. San Bernardino Police said Robertson was shot twice in the leg.

Robertson was taken to the emergency room at Loma Linda Hospital, where he was treated for his injuries and released at approximately 6 p.m. Friday.

Robertson's injuries were to his back, buttocks and leg, according to San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Olivia Bozek.

San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies visited the apartment complex, located at the 25000 block of Park Avenue, and were unable to locate evidence of a crime scene, according to Bozek. Neighbors also told police they did not hear any gunshots or disturbances.

Ali told ESPN that it is unclear whom the shooter was targeting.

"We don't believe that he was shooting at Dominique," Ali said. "But there was a shooting, and unfortunately Dominique was hit."

Bozek said there were no other reported injuries related to the incident.

The Buccaneers confirmed Saturday that they were aware of the incident and said they were gathering facts but emphasized that their concern is for Robertson's health.

A former University of West Georgia standout, Robertson grew up in Riverside, California, just outside Los Angeles. He signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent and is the nephew of Bucs offensive line coach George Warhop. Robertson was in Loma Linda visiting friends.

On Friday night, after Robertson was released from the hospital, Ali said the Riverside County Sheriff's Department detained Robertson for questioning.

"That's where the mystery is, because the shooting didn't happen in Riverside County, and the shooting happened in San Bernardino County," said Ali, a former police officer.

Ali said his client was taken into custody and questioned for 5½ to 6 hours, which upset Robertson and his family, since he had been shot and was injured.

Ali said his client asked multiple times to speak to an attorney but was denied that right. Robertson also told Ali that the sheriff's department took water from him even though he said he wasn't feeling well.

After 3½ to 4 hours, Robertson contacted his grandparents and told them his requests for an attorney were denied. They put Ali on the phone.

Ali said Robertson told him, "'I've been asking to speak with an attorney. I've been asking to speak with my family. They won't allow me to do either. They won't give me any water. As a matter of fact, I had a water, and they took it away from me. I'm telling them that I'm not feeling well and that I want my medication. They won't give me my medication.'"

Ali said he then contacted the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.

"Miraculously, they walked him to the door, allowed him to leave, told us to 'have a good night,' and shut the door," Ali said.

Riverside County Sheriff's spokesman Deputy Armando Muñoz would not state why both agencies were investigating the incident, nor would he provide specifics of the investigation.

"We're still actively investigating this incident that we're working on," he said. "We're not providing any info because we don't want to compromise the status of our investigation."

He added, "We never released Mr. Robertson's name at all as the one being detained." The San Bernardino Sheriff's Department issued a press release with his name.

When asked about the agency's policy on providing water to those being questioned and allowing them to take their medications, Muñoz said, "Every situation is different. ... We can't get into hypotheticals, because we're not even confirming that we spoke to Mr. Robertson."

Meanwhile, Ali said that he will be filing a complaint with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department on Robertson's behalf because he feels his client's Sixth Amendment rights were violated.

"It absolutely doesn't make any sense," Ali said. "There's no reason to believe he was implicated or anything. There's no reason to believe he was involved with anything. Although it happened at 3 or 3:30 in the morning -- there obviously weren't a lot of people who observed what took place -- it was not any area that he would have been involved with anything wrong or shady or anything like that.

"He doesn't know really what happened. Not knowing who the person was, not knowing the circumstances ... he just knows that someone shot in his direction, and unfortunately, he was the person who caught it."

Ali said Robertson will be continuing outpatient therapy.

"I think he's gonna be OK. From what I know and my understanding, I think he's gonna be fine."