The Buffalo Bills signed running back Reggie Bush on Monday, adding experience to their uncertain offensive backfield.
"It's good to be back to football," Bush said Monday. "I felt like the opportunity here was special for me and the team, for the coaching staff and for the fans as well."
Karlos Williams, who showed promise as a rookie as the Bills' No. 2 running back last season, is suspended for the first four games of the regular season for a violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. Jonathan Williams was arrested for suspicion of DWI earlier this month, although if the 2016 fifth-round pick is suspended, it likely will not happen until later in the upcoming season or until the 2017 season.
Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has already discussed with Bush the possibility of using both him and McCoy on the field at the same time this season.
Bush also becomes a candidate to return punts for the Bills. None of the three players who returned punts for the Bills last season -- Marcus Thigpen, Denarius Moore or Leodis McKelvin -- remains on Buffalo's roster.
The move is interesting in that in 2012, Bush and then-Jets coach Rex Ryan famously did some verbal sparring before the Jets and Dolphins' first meeting that season. Leading to the game, Ryan said Bush would get a little "hot sauce." Bush injured his knee before halftime and later said he thought the Jets were looking to hurt him.
Earlier Thursday, Ryan was asked about his "hot sauce" comment.
"See, that's what's so funny. That was a respect thing. I had to put a little extra hot sauce on him. You know what's funny, literally it was more of our attention," he said. "I think he misunderstood me and ran for like 100 yards against me the next time we played, so that wasn't good."
Bush isn't holding the comment against Ryan four years later.
"Me and Rex have had some battles, going back a long time," Bush said Monday. "So we have history, obviously, from New Orleans to Miami. But I've always been a fan of Rex, and now getting a chance to play for him I think is going to be pretty cool."
As a member of the San Francisco 49ers last season, Bush tore the meniscus in his left knee slipping and falling on an exposed concrete surface surrounding the field in the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis. He was later placed on injured reserve, ending his season.
In January, Bush sued the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission, which runs the Edward Jones Dome, over his injury.
The former 2005 Heisman Trophy winner and the second-overall pick of the 2006 draft has struggled to stay healthy the past two seasons. He was released by the Detroit Lions after an injury-plagued 2014 season in which he was limited to 297 rushing yards in nine games.
Bush has totaled 5,493 rushing yards and 3,508 receiving yards in 10 NFL seasons. He eclipsed 1,000 rushing yards in 2011 with the Miami Dolphins and again in 2013 with the Lions.
Now entering his 11th season, Bush is re-evaluating his future after each season.
"I think I'm just taking it year-by-year," Bush said Monday. "I'm just happy to be back to football. After this season is over, and granted that I'm able to stay healthy and be myself, I'll make a decision after that and see."