Former Kansas City Chiefs assistant Britt Reid charged with felony DWI

Former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid has been charged with felony driving while intoxicated for his involvement in a car crash earlier this year that left a 5-year-old girl critically injured.

The Jackson County (Missouri) Prosecutor's Office filed the class D felony charge Monday, stating that Reid "operated a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, and acted with criminal negligence by driving at an excessive rate of speed."

If convicted, Reid would face a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.

Reid, the son of Chiefs coach Andy Reid, surrendered to Kansas City police Monday afternoon and was released after posting $100,000 bond. As part of his bond release, Reid was ordered to not consume alcohol or visit any establishment where alcohol is the primary item sold. He also must report to a dependency services clinic for pretrial supervision, is subject to random drug testing and must use alcohol and GPS monitoring devices

The crash occurred Feb. 4, when police say Reid's truck slammed into two vehicles on the side of a highway entrance ramp near Kansas City's NFL training complex next to Arrowhead Stadium, injuring 5-year-old Ariel Young and another child inside one of the cars.

Analysis of the crash indicated that Reid, 36, was driving 83.9 mph just 1.9 seconds before his Dodge Ram collided with two parked vehicles on the ramp -- a Chevy Impala and Chevy Traverse, according to a probable cause statement form filed Monday by the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office. One of the vehicles had stalled because its battery was dead, and the second was owned by a cousin who had arrived to help, according to the charging documents.

A test of Reid's blood serum after the crash showed his blood alcohol concentration to be at .113, above the legal limit of .08, according to the probable cause statement. Police had previously said Reid admitted to investigators to having had "two or three drinks" along with prescribed Adderall before the crash.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters-Baker said in a statement that Missouri law limited the charges that could be brought against Reid given the evidence available, but said her office "will vigorously pursue these charges and Reid is not receiving any favorable treatment from Kansas City police or the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office.''

An attorney for Young's family said last month that the girl suffered a devastating brain injury that has left her unable to speak or walk. Attorney Tom Porto told The Kansas City Star on Monday that Young was released from the hospital April 2 and is being treated at her home. She is being fed through a feeding tube.

Porto also told the Star the charges were "absolutely appropriate under the circumstances. The prosecuting attorney and police department engaged in an extremely thorough investigation that ended with the appropriate charge."

Reid had been the Chiefs' outside linebackers coach at the time of the crash. He was initially placed on administrative leave after the crash but is no longer employed by the team after his contract was not renewed in the days after the crash. He did not travel with the team to Tampa, Florida, for the Feb. 7 Super Bowl, which Kansas City lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Chiefs said in a statement Monday that the organization "remains steadfast in our concern for all who have been impacted by this tragic accident. Our prayers are focused on Ariel's continued healing and recovery. The Chiefs are regularly in contact with the family's designated representative during this challenging time."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.