Calais Campbell hopes to play

TEMPE, Ariz. -- If Arizona defensive end Calais Campbell had his way, he'd be playing Thursday night against the Seattle Seahawks.

But doctors might have something to say about that.

Campbell was scheduled to undergo one more test Monday to determine whether he'll be able to return to the field after suffering what Cardinals coach Bruce Arians labeled a "bruised spine" Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.

The 6-foot-8 defensive end was carted off the field on a stretcher at Candlestick Park with 4 minutes, 56 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Campbell said he was trying to make Niners running back Frank Gore fumble when he put his head down to make the hit.

"I got up, and [it felt] kind [of] like a stinger feeling but it went all the way down to my feet," Campbell said.

He was taken to Stanford Hospital, where he underwent a battery of tests including an MRI and a CT scan, according to a tweet Sunday from Mark Dalton, the Cardinals' vice president of media relations. Campbell was released late Sunday night and flew back to Arizona on a plane provided by team president Michael Bidwill, Campbell tweeted.

"I feel pretty good," Campbell said. "A little sore. Any time after you get one of these, you're pretty sore on Mondays."

Campbell was immediately attended to on the field by a group of team trainers and doctors while Cardinals trainer Tom Reed braced Campbell's head. Once the sensation returned to Campbell's arms and legs, he wanted to stand up and walk, but the doctors and trainers made him stay on the ground as a precautionary measure.

Campbell said he was scared initially but any fear quickly disappeared when he was able to move his hands and feet.

Arians quickly checked in on Campbell, who attended the Cardinals' 8 a.m. team meeting Monday but did not participate in the open portion of Monday's walk-through.

"There's been a number of times I've been out there watching guys get towed off on a stretcher, and it's never fun, especially any time it's a head or neck injury involved," Arians said. "You just start praying and hoping everything is going to be all right, but he was coherent and talking and you could see the fingers and the feet start coming back pretty fast, so I was very optimistic."

Arians said he's keeping his fingers crossed that Campbell will play Thursday in an important NFC West matchup.

Tests Sunday night came back negative, Campbell said, but Monday's doctor visit was for another test. He was hoping to return to the Cardinals' facility later Monday cleared to play, but that's yet to be seen.

He's hopeful about Thursday but Campbell is not concerned about returning to the field.

"I feel pretty good now. Football's my life, I love it. I'm definitely looking forward to strapping it up and playing again," Campbell said. "Football is a fun game. If you play it correctly, you can limit your injuries. I'm not really scared as long as I play the right way."