Jermichael Finley injures neck

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley could not move when his first teammate, Andrew Quarless, approached him after he sustained a neck injury in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns.

Finley was taken off Lambeau Field on a gurney. The Packers said he had movement and feeling in all of his extremities. He was taken to an area hospital for further examination, the team said.

"He couldn't move at the time," said Quarless, the backup tight end whose locker is next to Finley's. "So I just told him, just stay here, just lay here, don't move."

Finley was injured at the end of a 10-yard reception, when he took a hit to the head from Browns safety Tashaun Gipson. The game was delayed for six minutes while medical personnel attended to Finley.

"That look he had in his eyes, that was something that stuck with me," said Quarless, who said he shed a tear at the time. "It really hurt me just to see him like that. My brother was out there on the ground."

Gipson was penalized for unnecessary roughness on the play. Referee Jeff Triplette said Gipson led with his helmet.

"[It was] all shoulder," Gipson said. "The crown of my head did not go down whatsoever. It was a shoulder hit. I don't know the place where it hit him exactly. I just know I saw him break out of the middle. He was running a slant. I'm driving on the ball. There's a collision and he's down. I really haven't watched the play so I can't really tell you what happened. I was just going out there playing physical."

Finley finished with five catches for 72 yards and a touchdown in Green Bay's 31-13 victory.

Coach Mike McCarthy said after the game that he did not have any further information on Finley.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said center Evan Dietrich-Smith spoke to the team shortly before play resumed.

"There's not a whole lot to be said," Rodgers said. "Actually, Evan spoke up after that and said a few words. But it's a reminder how tough this game is. We put our bodies on the line, our future health on the line and obviously with Jermichael he was playing really well. He's a great friend, great teammate. He's had a very good year for us. Injuries are a part of the game. But those are tough to see. Not being able to walk off the field I know, in the back of our minds, is kind of our worst nightmare."

It was the second time this season that Finley has been knocked out of a game. In Week 3 at Cincinnati, he sustained a concussion after safety George Iloka hit him in the helmet. Iloka was not penalized on the play but was fined $15,000.

The Packers already were playing without two of their top three receivers, Randall Cobb and James Jones.

Information from ESPN.com's Pat McManamon contributed to this report.