NHL
Scores
Schedule
Standings
Statistics
Transactions
Injuries
Players
Message Board
NHL.com
Minor Leagues
FEATURES
Power Rankings
Playoff Matchups
Daily Glance
NHL Insider
CLUBHOUSE


ESPN MALL
TeamStore
ESPN Auctions
SPORT SECTIONS
Thursday, February 27
Updated: May 20, 8:13 PM ET
 
Sale of Sabres reportedly moving forward

ESPN.com news services

The Buffalo Sabres don't have a new owner -- yet.

According to WGR Sportsradio in Buffalo, the NHL has accepted former gubernatorial candidate Tom Golisano's bid to buy the financially strapped team, TSN reported on its Web site Thursday.

Golisano submitted a bid back on Feb. 14. The report says the NHL accepted Golisano's proposal the next day.

No sale has been finalized, however, and the two sides continue to work out the details.

The Sabres have been in limbo since the NHL took over operating control of the team last June. One attempt to sell the club fell apart three weeks ago when lack of financing forced Buffalo businessman Mark Hamister to suspended his purchase bid.

The league then reopened negotiations with Golisano, whose initial bid of about $33 million failed to satisfy conditions set by Adelphia Communications, one of the Sabres' largest creditors.

Team officials said earlier this week they would have enough money to finish the season. A bankruptcy court granted the Sabres up to $25 million in financing when the team filed for bankruptcy protection last month. However, the Sabres would be in jeopardy of folding once their financing runs out because it is unlikely they would be granted additional loans.




 More from ESPN...
Money for Sabres: 'We'll get through the season'
The Sabres have projected ...

 ESPN Tools
Email story
 
Most sent
 
Print story
 
Daily email