The Atlanta Thrashers made the first significant move involving
a free-agent player, signing center Todd White to a four-year
contract worth a reported $9.5 million. An eight-year veteran,
White had 13 goals and 44 points with the Minnesota Wild last
Other early deals completed involving second-tier players:
• The Florida Panthers signed three players: forward Radek Dvorak
to a two-year deal; center Brett McLean to
a three-year contract, reportedly worth $5.1 million; and left wing
Richard Zednik to a two-year deal reportedly worth $3.25 million.
McLean is a four-year veteran who scored a career-high 15 goals and
20 assists in 78 games with Colorado last year. Zednik had seven
goals and 14 assists split between Washington and the New York
Islanders last year.
• The Washington Capitals signed two former Islanders, forward
Viktor Kozlov, to a two-year deal, and defenseman Tom Poti to a
four-year $14 million deal. Kozlov had 51 points, including a
career-high 25 goals last season.
• The St. Louis Blues re-signed defenseman Barret Jackman to a
one-year contract. A five-year veteran, and the Blues first-round
pick in the 1999 draft, Jackman scored a career-high 27 points
(three goals, 24 assists) in 70 games last year.
The signing came a day after the Blues re-signed center Keith Tkachuk to a two-year deal, after the veteran forward was scheduled
to become a free agent.
• Boston signed four-year NHL veteran Shawn Thornton, a checking
line forward who had two goals and seven assists for the Ducks last
• Chicago signed center Yanic Perreault to a one-year contract.
The 14-year journeyman had 21 goals and 17 assists split between
Phoenix and Toronto last season.
• Carolina signed center Jeff Hamilton to a two-year, $1.6
million contract. The 29-year-old had 18 goals and 21 assists in
his first full NHL season with Chicago.
• Tampa Bay signed Michel Ouellet to a two-year deal after the
forward was released by Pittsburgh last week. Ouellet had 19 goals
and 48 points last season.
• Edmonton signed defensemen Dick Tarnstrom and restricted free
agent Denis Grebeshkov to one-year contracts. Tarnstrom returns to
the Oilers, with whom he played in 2005-06, after spending last
season playing for Lugano in Switzerland.
• New Jersey re-signed restricted free agent Johnny Oduya.