Staals offered plea deals stemming from arrests at bachelor party

Eric Staal was arrested at his bachelor party. AP Photo/Cook County Sheriff's Department

PITTSBURGH -- Carolina Hurricanes star Eric Staal and his
brother Jordan Staal of the Pittsburgh Penguins have been offered
plea deals stemming from their arrests at Eric Staal's bachelor
party in Minnesota last month.

Paul Krepelka, the agent who represents both players, said the
prosecutor in Cook County, Minn., offered to settle the case by
having the Staals plead guilty to a petty misdemeanor for
disorderly conduct. Charges of obstructing the legal process are to
be dropped against both players, Krepelka said.

Ten of the 14 young men charged after complaints of screaming,
yelling and loud music accepted the same deal Wednesday, Krepelka
said. Two of them appeared in court; the others are submitting
written petitions to plead guilty, said Cook County Attorney Tim

The Staals were to appear in court at a later date, in part
because Eric Staal is still on his honeymoon, Krepelka said.

If they accept the deal, they will each be fined $587 for
disorderly conduct. Jordan Staal, 18, will also pay a $150 fine for
underage drinking, Krepelka said.

"It is an appropriate disposition for the allegations,"
Scannell said. "The fine is not insignificant for most of the
people charged."

The Cook County attorney and the Staals' attorneys want to make
sure the guilty pleas will not affect their visa status or ability
to travel between Canada and the United States. The Staals are from
Thunder Bay, Ontario, about two hours from the Lutsen Resort and
Sea Villas in Lutsen, Minn., where they were arrested about July 21
about 4 a.m.

"They don't think it's an issue, but we're just getting
confirmation from U.S. Immigration about that," Krepelka said.

The Cook County sheriff said the group was warned multiple times
before finally being ordered to leave the resort. At that point,
they began harassing motorists on a nearby road and were arrested.

"It was a party that got too loud," Scannell said. "I don't
think it was anything malicious. There was no criminal intent in
what I saw."