Auckland lockdown forces postponement of America's Cup
The first weekend of sailing in the America's Cup has been postponed after new COVID-19 cases were reported in Auckland. It is now not likely to begin until March 10.
Court documents detail deceased coach John Geddert's alleged abuse
Deceased former U.S. Olympic gymnastics coach John Geddert is alleged to have routinely abused his athletes to the point that multiple gymnasts attempted suicide, according to court documents obtained by ESPN.
Luna Rossa beats Team UK in Prada Cup final; Team New Zealand up next
Italian challenger Luna Rossa will race defender Team New Zealand in the 36th match for the America's Cup after beating Britain's Ineos Team UK 7-1 to win the best-of-13 race challengers series final.
Oldest man to row across the Atlantic says 'rowing is really boring'
When 70-year-old Frank Rothwell decided to row solo across the Atlantic for an Alzheimer's charity, he didn't realise just how boring it would be spending nearly two months on the 3,000 miles (4,800 km) journey.
Survival run: For Sunil Dawar, sport offers escape from extreme poverty
A star performer at Junior Nationals, Dawar was once grazing cattle and working at construction sites for a living.
American Magic ousted after 4-0 loss to Luna Rossa in Prada Cup semifinals
American Magic was ousted in the semifinals of the Prada Cup, losing 4-0 to Italy's Luna Rossa in the best-of-seven challenger series.
- Date of birth
- 39 (200m freestyle, 100m and 200m butterfly, 200m and 400m medley, 4x100m freestyle relay, 4x100m medley relay, 4x200m freestyle relay - long course; 4x100m medley relay, 4x100m freestyle relay - short course) - up to 29/04/16
Olympic Games (22 medals: 18 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze)
- 200m freestyle: 1st (2008), 3rd (2004)
- 100m butterfly: 1st (2004, 2008, 2012)
- 200m butterfly: 1st (2004, 2008), 2nd (2012)
- 200m medley: 1st (2004, 2008, 2012)
- 400m medley: 1st (2004, 2008)
- 4x100m freestyle relay: 1st (2008), 2nd (2012), 3rd (2004)
- 4x200m freestyle relay: 1st (2004, 2008, 2012)
- 4x100m medley relay: 1st (2004/did not participate in the final, 2008, 2012)
World Championships (33 medals: 26 gold, 6 silver, 1 bronze)
- 200m freestyle : 1st (2005, 2007), 2nd (2009, 2011)
- 100m butterfly: 1st (2007, 2009, 2011), 2nd (2003, 2005)
- 200m butterfly: 1st (2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011)
- 200m medley: 1st (2003, 2005, 2007), 2nd (2011)
- 400m medley: 1st (2003, 2007)
- 4x100m freestyle relay: 1st (2005, 2007, 2009), 3rd (2011)
- 4x200m freestyle relay: 1st (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011), 2nd (2003)
- 4x100m medley relay: 1st (2003 and 2005 did not participate in the finals, 2009, 2011)
World Short Course Championships (1 medal: 1 gold)
- 200m freestyle: 1st (2004)
Pan Pacific Championships (21 medals: 16 gold, 5 silver)
- 200m backstroke : 2nd (2006)
- 100m butterfly: 1st (2010, 2014)
- 200m butterfly: 1st (2006, 2010), 2nd (2002)
- 200m medley: 1st (2002, 2006), 2nd (2014)
- 400m medley: 1st (2002, 2006)
- 4x100 m freestyle relay: 1st (2006, 2010), 2nd (2014)
- 4x200m freestyle relay: 1st (2006, 2010, 2014), 2nd (2002)
- 4x100m medley relay: 1st (2002, 2010, 2014)
22 medals and counting...
Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time (22 medals), will travel to Rio looking to create more sporting history.
The American swimming sensation retired after London 2012, but made his comeback in 2014.
He missed out on the world championships in Kazan after being suspended by USA Swimming, following an arrest for drink driving. But he returned in some style at the 2015 US National Championships, with a superb performance in the 200m butterfly (1:52.94).
Now aged 31, and with 18 Olympic golds to his name, Phelps is gunning for more glory in Rio. Still coached by Bob Bowman, the "Baltimore Bullet" remains a solitary figure, who is "happy to let his swimming do the talking". His rivals have been warned.
|Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay||3:09.92|
|1||Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay, Final||3:09.92|
|Men's 200m Butterfly||1:53.36|
|5||Men's 200m Butterfly, Heats||1:55.73 Q|
|3||Men's 200m Butterfly, Heats, Heat 3||1:55.73|
|2||Men's 200m Butterfly, Semifinal||1:54.12 Q|
|2||Men's 200m Butterfly, Semifinal, Semifinal 2||1:54.12|
|1||Men's 200m Butterfly, Final||1:53.36|
|Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay||7:00.66|
|1||Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay, Final||7:00.66|
|Men's 200m Individual Medley||1:54.66|
|3||Men's 200m Individual Medley, Heats||1:58.41 Q|
|1||Men's 200m Individual Medley, Heats, Heat 4||1:58.41|
|1||Men's 200m Individual Medley, Semifinal||1:55.78 Q|
|1||Men's 200m Individual Medley, Semifinal, Semifinal 2||1:55.78|
|1||Men's 200m Individual Medley, Final||1:54.66|
|Men's 100m Butterfly||51.14|
|4||Men's 100m Butterfly, Heats||51.60 Q|
|2||Men's 100m Butterfly, Heats, Heat 6||51.60|
|5||Men's 100m Butterfly, Semifinal||51.58 Q|
|2||Men's 100m Butterfly, Semifinal, Semifinal 1||51.58|
|2||Men's 100m Butterfly, Final||51.14|
|Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay||3:27.95 OR|
|1||Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay, Final||3:27.95 OR|
GBR 27 CHN 26
GBR 23 CHN 18
CHN 26 JPN 21
Ledecky 4 Biles 4
Manuel 2 McKeon 2
Oleksiak 2 Chalmers 2