<
>

Former world champion pole vaulter has doping ban overturned

MILAN, Italy -- Former pole vault world champion
Giuseppe Gibilisco's two-year doping ban has been overturned by
the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the athlete said on
Friday.

CAS could not be reached for comment but Gibilisco said he
was now looking forward to August's Beijing Olympic Games.

"It is the end of a nightmare. Now I will give everything to
reach the podium in Beijing," the Italian told Gazzetta dello
Sport's Web site.

The 29-year-old, who won gold at the 2003 world
championships in Paris and bronze at the Athens Olympics a year
later, was accused of being implicated in an Italian police
doping probe, which began in 2004.

The investigation focused on the relationship between athletes and Carlo Santuccione, a doctor who is alleged to have
supplied athletes with banned substances.

Gibilisco was initially banned last July by the Italian
Athletics Federation (FIDAL) after a request from the country's
anti-doping prosecutor.

However, he won an appeal in September; a FIDAL
spokesman saying the ban had been lifted because Gibilisco had
never failed a doping test.

The ban was then reinstated by a sporting judge in October,
leading Gibilisco to take the long-running case to CAS.

Last month, CAS upheld cyclist Danilo Di Luca's three-month
ban for using Santuccione. The Italian rider had already
served the suspension starting in October 2007.