Two people hit by debris during the last-lap crash at the Coke Zero 400 have hired an attorney to represent them in any claims against NASCAR and Daytona International Speedway.
Matt Morgan confirmed Tuesday he was hired by the spectators, who were among the four treated and released at the racetrack after Austin Dillon's car flew into the catch fence and was torn into pieces.
"I have been retained by two individuals who were sitting three rows up from the point of impact at the Daytona Coke Zero 400 crash," Morgan said. "They were struck by a large piece of steel debris and various smaller objects.
"They were treated for their injuries in Daytona and are following up at their local hospital."
DIS president Joie Chitwood said Monday that one person was sent to the hospital and four were treated on-site. The victim sent to the hospital was released in a couple of hours.
Morgan, whose firm Morgan & Morgan is based in Orlando, Florida, and is well-known for its representation of accident victims, represented 13 victims of the Kyle Larson crash in the 2013 Xfinity Series opener at Daytona and reached settlements in those cases in May 2014.
Since then, Morgan has been retained by an additional spectator, and no settlement has been reached.
The statute of limitation to file a lawsuit in Florida is four years from the time of injury.