<
>

Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart put incident at Richmond behind them

JOLIET, Ill. -- Neither Tony Stewart nor Ryan Newman felt the need to apologize for their actions Saturday night at Richmond International Raceway, but they reiterated they have put the incident behind them after spending more than 30 minutes with NASCAR officials Friday.

Stewart and Newman, longtime friends, stood side-by-side for a few minutes afterward, answering reporters' questions and joking with each other in the Chicagoland Speedway garage.

"We don't have to apologize to each other," Newman said.

Stewart chimed right in: "You've got to remember, we've been teammates. We've known each other since long before either one of us ever got an opportunity to come to NASCAR."

Newman interrupted: "I'll text you an apology later."

The scene was much different Saturday at Richmond when Stewart cut in front of Newman, wrecking both of their cards in retaliation for what Stewart felt was too much contact from Newman in trying to get by. Newman, whose long-shot hopes of making the Chase for the Sprint Cup were ruined by Stewart's move, said the three-time Cup champion was "bipolar" and had "anger issues" and should be retired. (Stewart will retire from Cup racing after this year.)

"I'd love to be able to be perfect and do everything right 100 percent of the time," Stewart said after the meeting. "But we don't."

Newman, who drove for Stewart-Haas Racing from 2009 through 2013, said he didn't regret what he said.

"They're just words, right?" Newman said. "More often than not, we're men of our actions. It's just all about going out there and doing our job. We all know it can be frustrating at times, whether it's intentional or not. ... I don't have any regrets about what I said. I am frustrated by the situations and the actions that came about in respect to all of it."

The two drivers were in the NASCAR hauler for about 35 minutes prior to the scheduled Sprint Cup practice. Sprint Cup Series director Richard Buck ran the meeting, a NASCAR spokesman confirmed, but NASCAR refused to comment on the topics of the meeting.

Stewart indicated on Twitter that the meeting did not last that long.

Both drivers have had past instances in their lengthy careers where they have had to go to the hauler to meet drivers they have had altercations with on the track. This one appeared more cordial than some of those in the past.

"Last week didn't play out in either of us' favor," Newman said. "Obviously we didn't want that to happen ever again. But what happened, happened.

"There are frustrations in our sport all the time. Whether you do it or you say it, you still have to be held accountable."

Newman said he won't change how he races and is not the type of driver who will just take someone out on purpose.

"It's a deal where we've had a week to think about it, we've had a week to get over it, we've been in the trailer and talked about it," Stewart said. "As far as we're concerned, it's over."