CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates will need to find another sponsor for Juan Pablo Montoya in 2009 because Texaco sponsorship will dry up at the end of the season.
Texaco/Havoline is leaving NASCAR and therefore will not return to the No. 42 next season, Ganassi officials said Tuesday.
Ganassi is now looking for sponsors for Montoya for half of next season. Wrigley's will sponsor the other half, as it has done this season.
The No. 40 team with driver Dario Franchitti was shut down earlier this year when no sponsors could be lined up.
Team officials said they were not surprised by Texaco's decision, saying they knew the company was looking to leave the sport.
Ganassi's other team -- the No. 41 of Reed Sorenson -- is sponsored by Target, which also sponsors Ganassi's championship-contending IndyCar Series teams. Ganassi officials said the Target sponsorship is solid for both NASCAR and IndyCar beyond this season.
Ganassi still plans to field at least two teams in 2009 and hopes enough sponsorship can be found for a third.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.