BROOKLYN, Mich. -- Dodge doesn't plan to disappear from the Sprint Cup series in the near future even it is reduced to one team, the CEO of Dodge Brand said on Sunday at Michigan International Speedway.
"We're committed to this sport,'' Mike Accavitti said. "It's a match made in heaven.''
Accavitti, who was promoted to CEO after Chrysler filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, declined to speculate on whether Dodge would lose Richard Petty Motorsports.
RPM has been in discussions with other manufacturers and reportedly is headed to Toyota in 2010, although team officials deny a decision has been made.
If that were to happen Dodge would be left with the three-car Penske Racing organization.
Accavitti would only say that he values RPM as a partner. He added that RPM has been mailed a check for services that were past due after the bankruptcy was filed.
"You really only need a couple of good cars,'' he said.
But he won't be satisfied until Dodge has a championship.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.