<
>

Waltrip's hearing postponed until late June

CHARLOTTE -- Michael Waltrip's hearing on charges of reckless driving and failure to report an accident after a crash has been postponed until June 25.

The district attorney's office of Catawba County asked for the continuance on Monday on behalf of Waltrip, whose attorney faxed a written request asking for it.

Neither Waltrip nor his attorney appeared at the courthouse.

A spokesman from the district attorney's office said Waltrip likely will not have to appear at the June hearing, adding that in most cases like this one the charges are waived if the driver has a good record.

The accident occurred last month at round 2:30 a.m. on Molly's Backbone Road about a mile from Waltrip's home in Sherill's Ford, N.C.

The Highway Patrol said Waltrip was driving approximately 70 mph in a 55 mph zone when his car went off the side of the road, hit a utility pole and rolled before coming to a stop.

Waltrip then climbed out of the car and walked home with scratches on his face and some deep cuts on his finger.

Waltrip, who has failed to qualify for the last 10 races in his first year as the owner of Michael Waltrip Racing, said he fell asleep at the wheel and was embarrassed about the incident.

David Newton covers Nextel Cup racing for ESPN.com.