| ESPN Network: ESPN.com | RPM | NBA.com | NHL.com | ESPNdeportes | ABCSports | FANTASY | |
![]() |
|
|
| |
|
Tuesday, July 22 Updated: July 23, 9:14 PM ET Pizzonia didn't expect firing Reuters
The 22-year-old rookie said in a statement released through his management on Tuesday that he was stunned by what had happened but determined to stay in Formula One. "The sudden decision by Jaguar Racing not to let me continue as a full time Formula One driver for the team came as a complete shock to me," he said. "As the season has progressed my performances have improved. "As has been widely reported, Jaguar has offered me a reserve driver and testing role but I have declined this," added the Brazilian. "I now have to reflect on what has happened and decide which is the best course of action for me to take. However, I fully intend to pursue my career in Formula One." Jaguar already have an agreement with BAR's British test driver Anthony Davidson for him to be on call should either of their drivers be unavailable to race. The team also has limited opportunities for a test driver as they have agreed not to do more than 10 days testing during the season in exchange for an extra two hours of private running at grand prix weekends. Pizzonia, from Manaus in the northern Amazon region, arrived in Formula One with a strong record in junior series and after impressing Williams as their test driver. However, he failed to score a point in 11 appearances, most recently retiring from the British Grand Prix on Sunday, while Australian Mark Webber has scored repeatedly. He was replaced on Monday by Minardi rookie Wilson, who has a deal for the last five races of the season. Ford-owned Jaguar said that Pizzonia had been replaced because he had "not been able to realize his potential with the team."
Stewart: Pizzonia needed more time "I think he was progressing," he told reporters on Wednesday. "He's only 22, he's been a very good test driver, he's been very good on the buildup. "I wasn't at all involved in the decision making process but I suppose I personally would have given Pizzonia more time," added the Scot. Pizzonia was replaced by British rookie Justin Wilson, previously with Minardi, on Monday after 11 races. The Brazilian had not scored a point while Australian team mate Mark Webber has scored 12. Former world champion Stewart told Wilson in 1997, when the teenager was racing for his son Paul's Formula Three team, that he was too tall for Formula One and should look to sportscars instead. "He was very successful and I like him as a young man," said Stewart, whose own Formula One team was sold to Ford in 1999 and renamed Jaguar. "We let him go because at that time he couldn't fit into a Formula Three car because he was getting so tall. But I'm a big supporter of Justin Wilson. I think he's great."
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|