ESPN Network: ESPN.com | RPM | NBA.com | NHL.com | ESPNdeportes | ABCSports | FANTASY  
rpm.espn.com
rpm.espn.com
Winston Cup Series




Sunday, September 29
Updated: September 30, 7:43 PM ET
Drivers may be tested after wrecking
Associated Press

Earnhrardt Jr.
Earnhardt Jr.
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- NASCAR is taking steps to keep drivers with concussions off the track, after Dale Earnhardt Jr. revealed he drove in several races while unable to fully concentrate or communicate with his crew chief.

From now on, NASCAR president Mike Helton said Sunday, doctors at infield care centers may require a driver to undergo a CT scan if they suspect the driver has a concussion.

If the CT scan reveals a concussion, Helton said, a driver will not be allowed to compete until he obtains a medical release.

CART, the Indy Racing League and the NFL have similar policies already in place.

Four-time Winston Cup champion Jeff Gordon, who won his second straight Protection One 400 at Kansas Speedway on Sunday, praised the tighter rules.

"That sounds like a good idea," Gordon said. "If you can't clear a CT scan, you don't need to be out there in a race car."

Helton also pulled aside Earnhardt, the pole winner for Sunday's race, to discuss the issue after the morning drivers' meeting.

"Most of what he said is between him and me, but he did tell me that I could have handled it better," said Earnhardt Jr., who finished sixth in Sunday's race and moved up one spot to 13th in the standings.

Earnhardt got a concussion in a crash April 28 at California Speedway but hid it from the public -- and NASCAR -- until last week.

He said he did not report it to doctors immediately after the crash, partly because he was more concerned about an injured ankle and partly because he had had concussions before and wasn't worried that this one might be serious.

Earnhardt also was worried that if he made the concussion public, it might have kept him from racing.

Jeff Burton, who won Saturday's Busch Series race, said this week that he once hid a concussion and qualified for a race.

Although Earnhardt blames the concussion for his subpar season, on Sunday he again played down its severity and insisted he was never a danger to himself or any other driver.

''Even at 80 percent, I'm still better than a lot of the other guys out there,'' he said, joking.

Send this story to a friend | Most sent stories
 
Related
Dale Jr. ready to put concussion talk behind him

Head injury stalled Junior's season

Burton: Some drivers are hiding injury

Jarrett in unfamiliar territory

Audio/Video
Video
 New Policy
NASCAR's Kevin Triplett outlines the sanctioning body's policy on driving with injuries.
Standard | Cable Modem

Sports Mall

 

Winston Cup Series Standings Winston Cup Series Results Winston Cup Series Schedules Winston Cup Series Drivers Winston Cup Series