Spanish police say they have arrested Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez for allegedly hitting his girlfriend.
A spokesman for Spain's law enforcement agency Guardia Civil confirmed to ESPN that they were called to the player's home in Las Rozas, near Madrid, at 2:30 a.m. and that Hernandez did not resist arrest.
The girlfriend and the the 20-year-old Hernandez were both treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Hernandez's girlfriend has not pressed charges although the player remains in custody.
The judge at the magistrates court in Majadahonda, near Madrid, issued restraining orders to both Hernandez and his girlfriend on Friday.
The incident dominated Diego Simeone's news conference after training on Friday, which had been planned to discuss Saturday's La Liga game at home to neighbours Leganes at the Calderon.
"In reality I have no official information about what happened," Simeone said. "So I cannot comment on something I do not know about. We have read things, and heard things, information which is not official has been circulating. That is the situation we are in. I cannot say any more."
Asked about the reports by Telemadrid, La Liga president Javier Tebas said it was important for the facts of the case to be verified before any judgements were made.
"We must see what happened, know the facts," Tebas said. "I always say that the presumption of innocence should be respected. This happened early this morning and already a few hours later we want a sentence. It is not about being cautious, but being normal, wait for what the judge says, what there is, and what happened."
Tebas added that violence against women was an issue that must be taken very seriously, and suggested punishments would be handed out should any player be found guilty of such an offence.
The France U21 player was an unused substitute in Atletico's 2-1 home defeat to Barcelona in Wednesday's Copa del Rey semifinal first leg.
Hernandez last played for Atletico in a 2-2 draw at Eibar in the Copa on Jan. 25.