Fernando Torres released from hospital after head injury in Atletico match

Fernando Torres has been released from hospital after suffering a head injury late in Atletico Madrid's 1-1 draw at Deportivo La Coruna on Thursday.

Torres collided with Depor's Alex Bergantinos while jumping for the ball in the 84th minute and, after his head slammed into the ground, he was attended to for five minutes and left the pitch on a stretcher that carried him to a waiting ambulance.

Initial tests showed no signs of any serious spine or head injuries and Atletico released a statement on Friday morning that he had spent "a good night" in hospital and was awaiting an MRI scan before the all clear.

But, not long after, the club revealed that he had been released and allowed to go home.

"A magnetic resonance done in the spine has corroborated that Fernando Torres has no alterations or traumatic injuries after the blow he suffered to the head in Riazor just as the CT scan done on the player had confirmed," the club tweeted. "Having spent the night under observation, Torres left the La Coruna hospital this morning. He will have to rest for the next 48 hours."

The player himself spoke to reporters after leaving hospital and said in quotes reported by Marca: "Everything is well. I want to thank everyone, the Atletico and Deportivo players for the reaction they had, the fans, the medical staff in the hospital that took great care of me.

"I remember everything before the collision. I recovered consciousness in the ambulance. Fortunately, it was just a care and I'm just counting the days to return to play."

Torres will not be able to return to Madrid by plane as a precaution and has been ruled out for Sunday's home game against Valencia.

"In a couple of days' time I will be able to train with my teammates," the former Liverpool and Chelsea player added.

Atletico players Sime Vrsaljko and Gabi were the first to attend to Torres after he fell to the ground while some teammates turned away, unable to watch.

And Deportivo team doctor Carlos Larino, who was the first doctor to attend the Atletico star on the pitch, commended the pair for their quick response, telling Cadena Cope radio: "They did what they had to do. Gabi was bitten as he attempted to get his [Torres'] tongue out. What they did was perfect and they acted very fast."

Bergantinos, meanwhile, admitted he was very affected by what had happened to Torres and added: "I was praying on the pitch in the hope that he would return to consciousness as soon as possible. You could hear he [Torres] was making noises because he was struggling to breath."

ESPN FC's Dermot Corrigan and Adriana Garcia contributed to this report.