The back and forth between Barcelona and Argentina over Lionel Messi's injury has continued with Josep Maria Bartomeu saying the Catalan club did not request the forward sit out last week's win over Uruguay.
Messi's participation in Saturday's La Liga game with Alaves is in doubt after Barca confirmed he will have to reduce his training in the coming days due to a persistent groin problem.
That groin problem has troubled Messi since before the international break, but he still joined up with his national team, scoring the winning goal in the 1-0 victory over Uruguay.
The 29-year-old has since returned to Spain, although he forfeited his country's game against Venezuela this week. Bartomeu is adamant that the situation has been managed correctly.
"No one has taken unnecessary risks," he told RAC1. "These are things which happen, especially with a footballer who plays as much as Leo.
"We didn't recommend to the AFA [Argentine Football Association] that they shouldn't play him in the match against Uruguay, we just told them he had discomfort in his groin and attached the medical report."
Messi reported to Barca's training ground on Monday for an MRI scan on the injury. The club ruled out a serious problem but have confirmed the player is still suffering some pain.
Catalan daily Sport said he could still feature when domestic football resumes this weekend, though, with a decision expected to be left until late in the week.
The player himself posted a message on his Facebook page reassuring fans that they have "nothing to worry about."
He wrote: "Everything is fine, I have to slow things down as I recover with physio, but it's nothing to worry about. Thanks to you all for your support."