Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini hits out at referee after draw at Arsenal

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini was furious with referee Mark Clattenburg, believing he got three key decisions wrong in their 2-2 draw with Arsenal at the Emirates.

- Palmer: Arsenal come close to big victory
- McNicholas: Arsenal player ratings

The champions came away from north London with a point, but the Chilean believes that neither Jack Wilshere nor Alexis Sanchez's strikes should have been allowed, while he also thinks Wilshere should have been penalised after he felt the England international handled in the box.

"I think it was a great game, two very good teams which try to play, both teams are very creative," Pellegrini told BT Sport. "Today both goals by Arsenal were very clear fouls, the first one, two or three continuous fouls and the second one Welbeck on Vincent.

"Wilshere had two hands in front of the linesman and it is a clear penalty, so in that case I must be very happy with the draw. We have more possession and more chances than Arsenal."

Clattenburg was the referee when City lost in controversial circumstances against Liverpool last season, when Pellegrini felt Martin Skrtel handled for the Reds' second goal.

"I think we have very difficult decisions, today was unbelievable," Pellegrini added. "He [Clattenburg] had a very bad day today in the same way he had a bad day against Liverpool last year."

Wilshere disagreed with Pellegrini's assessment, feeling there was little he could have done to avoid the ball coming in contact with his hand.

"The ball just bounced up and hit my hand," he said. "It is tough for referees and on another day he might give it but he didn't."

Arsene Wenger was upset at what he labelled 'systematic fouls' on his players but admitted the pace of the contest made it a hard game to officiate.

"It was a game of top quality between two very good teams played at a tremendous pace, especially in the first half,'' he said. "Both managers were frustrated. I heard that Pellegrini was not happy with some decisions from the referee, all of them maybe.

"In the first half they stopped us going out on the break by systematically fouling. The yellow card came a bit too late in my opinion to be satisfied and stop that systematic fouling. It was not an easy game to referee.

"There were situations were there was a fight for the ball, they made a foul then we made a foul and the guy who came out with the ball has been allowed to go.

"I don't think it has been a vicious game, it was just a committed one where players went for the ball with their full commitment.''