<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: Could Man United or Arsenal tempt Fabian Ruiz to ignore interest from Real, Barca?

play
Has Ronaldo's transfer to Man United been a success? (1:11)

Julien Laurens and Stewart Robson discuss Cristiano Ronaldo's impact on Manchester United. (1:11)

The 2022 January transfer window is closed, but there's still plenty of gossip swirling about who's moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!

TOP STORY: Arsenal, Man United interested in Fabian

Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz could have an offer from the Premier League to consider with Arsenal and Manchester United both interested in securing his signature, according to Tuttomercatoweb.

The 25-year-old Spain international has a contract until 2023 in Naples and has already been attracting interest from the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona. While Fabian is said to prefer a move to Spain, the two English outfits are keen to see whether a deal can be reached considering he earns just €50,000-a-week in Italy -- a figure that will increase drastically regardless of his next location.

Gunners boss Mikel Arteta is continuing the search for midfield reinforcements after failing to complete a deal for Juventus' Arthur in January, while Manchester United continue to search for a replacement for Paul Pogba. However, whether either Premier League side is able to sign Fabian might well depend on their qualification for next season's Champions League.

LIVE BLOG

22.45 GMT: St. Louis City SC have signed Czech midfielder Tomas Ostrak on a four-year deal, the club announced on Tuesday. The 22-year-old will join the expansion franchise in July 2022 after completing the rest of the Bundesliga season with Cologne. Expansion franchise St. Louis are set to start play in the 2023 Major League Soccer season. Ostrak joined Cologne's academy in 2016 and has impressed at youth level for both club and country. He has been on two loan spells before representing Cologne eight times in all competitions this season.

22.05 GMT: Calciomercato is reporting that Gianluca Scamacca would prefer to join Inter over AC Milan. Sassuolo CEO Giovanni Carnevali has hinted that he could take the striker's preference into account when assessing offers, as was the case when Manuel Locatelli joined Juventus despite there being a higher offer from Arsenal. In the case of Scamacca, this is especially likely to have an impact if the Milan rivals come in with similar offers. Scamacca, 23, has scored 10 Serie A goals so far this season.

21.41 GMT: Following news that Edinson Cavani is set to leave Manchester United, Ekrem Konur has reported that the Uruguayan is Botafogo's main priority in the transfer market. The 35-year-old has struggled with injuries this term, but has two goals and an assist in 604 Premier League minutes. Cavani will be weighing up options ahead of his Red Devils contract ending in the summer, with the possibility of joining the Brazilian Serie A side emerging as a legitimate possibility.

21.05 GMT: USMNT centre-back John Brooks will leave Wolfsburg when his contract ends in the summer.

Brooks said in a statement from the club: "I'd like to thank the VfL Wolfsburg management for their honest discussions, but I've decided to take on a new challenge once again. I've had the opportunity to play football at a high level for five years and it's obviously not easy for me to leave after such a long time. I wish the team and the entire club all the best and will give my all for VfL until my last game."

Brooks scored five goals in 114 appearances for the Bundesliga club during his time there and has made 45 appearances for the U.S., with three goals to his credit for the senior side.

20.34 GMT: - Barcelona are working to extend Ronald Araujo's contract, reports Nicolo Schira, with the centre-back's deal coming to an end in 2023. The Uruguay international's priority is to stay at Barcelona despite two English clubs showing an interest in him. The Catalonian club is confident of reaching an agreement for a four-year deal for the 22-year-old Arajuo, who joined Barcelona B from Boston River in 2018 before going on to become an important player for the first team.

19.48 GMT: Brennan Johnson will wait to commit his future to Nottingham Forest amid Premier League interest, according to Football Insider, with the academy graduate having already made 15 goal contributions in the Championship this term. The report adds that West Ham and Leeds are the most serious about the 20-year-old, whose contract expires in the summer of 2023. However, Crystal Palace and Brentford are also monitoring his situation.

19.03 GMT: Bayer Leverkusen right-back Jeremie Frimpong has played down interest from Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in an interview with Sky Sports Deutschland.

"I haven't heard anything about that," said the 21-year-old. "I feel good in Leverkusen, my whole focus is here. We have a great team, a great coaching team, a great club. I'm enjoying my time. That counts."

The Dutchman has impressed since his move from Celtic in January 2021, managing two goals and eight assists across all competitions this term.

18.32 GMT: Steven Bergwijn's agent has offered the Tottenham Hotspur winger to AC Milan, according to Nicolo Schira.

Muy Manero, who is also the agent for Lille's in-demand centre-back Sven Botman, is said to have done this in the last three weeks. This comes despite Spurs turning down Ajax's offer for the Dutchman during the January window.

Bergwijn hasn't started a Premier League match for Antonio Conte since the window has shut, partly due to the signing of Dejan Kulusevski, but scored a memorable double to secure victory against Leicester City in January.

17.24 GMT: AC Milan, Fiorentina, Napoli and Sassuolo are all looking at Empoli centre-back Mattia Viti, according to Calciomercato.

If anybody is to sign the Italian, it will likely take more than the €15m offer that Atalanta have already seen reportedly rejected.

Viti, 20, has been with Empoli since 2020.

16.39 GMT: Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski is open to a move to Atletico Madrid, according to El Chiringuito.

Lewandowski, 33, wants a new challenge after scoring 333 goals in 362 games since moving to Munich on a free transfer from Borussia Dortmund in 2014. His contract expires in 2023 and Bayern could sanction his departure so they receive a transfer fee.

The Poland international is reportedly interested in a switch to Spain, which could see him move to Atletico as Real Madrid are trying to land both PSG's Kylian Mbappe and Dortmund's Erling Haaland up front.

15.48 GMT: Ajax midfielder Ryan Gravenberch could leave in the summer, says De Telegraaf, with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona interested.

Gravenberch, 19, has four assists and one goal in 32 games this season and would reportedly like to join Bayern, with the Dutch club placing a €35m valuation on him given his contract expires in 2023.

15.00 GMT: Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland could both be on the move this summer, but which is the better player?

14.16 GMT: Roman Abramovich's attempt to shift the "stewardship and care" of Chelsea to the Premier League club's foundation has sparked the trustees to report the move to the British body overseeing charities.

The unexpected announcement from the Chelsea owner, which lacked full clarity, was issued on Saturday following calls for him to be targeted by British sanctions regarding Russia's invasion of Ukraine and to sell the club.

The Charity Commission, which regulates the Chelsea Foundation, has received a "serious incident report" from its trustees amid concerns about how Abramovich's plan can be enacted.

The foundation's chairman is Bruce Buck, who has also chaired Chelsea for most of the 19 years the Russian oligarch has owned the west London club. Beyond women's team manager Emma Hayes and director of finance Paul Ramos, the trustees with more separation from the club are British Olympic Association chairman Hugh Robertson, lawyer John Devine and anti-discrimination leader Piara Powar, the executive director of the FARE network.

The Charity Commission is seeking further information from them about the running of the club and the foundation.

13.44 GMT: Manchester United's search for a new manager will be "thorough," according to football director John Murtough, with the new man tasked with returning the club to top of domestic and European football.

United are looking for their next permanent manager after placing Ralf Rangnick in charge until the end of the season following the dismissal of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in November.

Mauricio Pochettino and Erik ten Hag are favourites for the role but Murtough has promised an extensive search to ensure the appointment of the right candidate as the club look to end a trophy drought that stretches back to 2017.

"We are now conducting a thorough process for the appointment of a new permanent manager who will take charge this summer, with the objective to get us back to challenging for those domestic and European titles," Murtough said. "We saw improved results under interim manager Ralf Rangnick, following a run in the October and early November period that had seen the departure of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as manager.

"We know that consistency is key as we strive for a top-four finish this season. I want to reiterate however that this is not the ultimate objective for Manchester United, and everyone at the club is focused on challenging for the top trophies."

13.19 GMT: Napoli are prepared to break their wage cap to keep defender Kalidou Koulibaly away from Barcelona, according to Tuttomercatoweb.

Barca have been linked with a €40m move for the Senegal international, whose contract runs until 2023, but Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis will do all he can to keep the player at the club.

The report says De Laurentiis wants to avoid a repeat of the Lorenzo Insigne situation at all costs, with the forward moving to Toronto FC for free at the end of the season, and will therefore offer Koulibaly an increase to his €6m-a-year salary.

That would break the wage limit imposed by the club, but the president is willing to do that if it means the centre-back stays at Napoli, who moved top of Serie A on Sunday after beating Lazio 2-1.

12.50 GMT: Racing Santander midfielder Pablo Torre has caught the eye of Barcelona and Real Madrid, according to Marca.

Torre, 18, has a contract until 2025 and has six goals and six assists in 21 games for the third-tier Spanish side this season.

The midfielder has also impressed for Spain U19's side, which could see Barca and Real battle for his signature in the summer transfer window.

12.03 GMT: Are Leeds making the right move to hire Jesse Marsch?

play
1:33

Is Jesse Marsch a good fit for troubled Leeds?

Gab & Juls wonder if Jesse Marsch is the man to stop Leeds' slide towards Premier League relegation.

11.40 GMT: ICYMI -- For the second time in two months, Major League Soccer has a new record youngest player signing.

Maximo Carrizo, who turned 14 on Monday, signed a homegrown contract with New York City FC, breaking the record set in January when Axel Kei (14 years, 15 days) signed with Real Salt Lake.

Prior to Kei's signing with RSL, the previous record had been held by Freddy Adu since 2004.

11.15 GMT: Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni is Barcelona's "impossible dream," according to a report in Sport.

Despite the emergence of Pedri, Gavi and Nico Gonzalez over the last 18 months, Barca still want to add another midfielder to the squad as they contemplate life after Sergio Busquets, who turns 34 in the summer.

Sport reported on Monday that negotiations are at an advanced stage to sign Milan midfielder Franck Kessie on a free transfer at the end of the season, but only because Tchouameni has been deemed unattainable.

Tuesday's report says Barca contacted Monaco about a deal for the France international but have been put off by the €60m price tag -- any money they do have this summer will be invested in a forward, with Erling Haaland still the priority.

They would also face fierce competition for Tchouameni if they decided to pursue a move for the 22-year-old. Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester United are among the other clubs to have been linked with him.

10.51 GMT: Ajax want Jordi Cruyff to replace Marc Overmars as the club's sporting director, according to reports in Mundo Deportivo and De Telegraaf. Overmars left his position at the Dutch club in February after multiple complaints from female colleagues over inappropriate messages.

Cruyff, who is currently working at Barcelona, has emerged as the No. 1 target to replace him and Ajax have already made contact with him to see if he would be interested in filling the vacancy. He returned to Barca in an advisory role in June and has taken on more responsibility since the departure of sporting director Ramon Planes in December.

However, his job at Camp Nou is overseen by general director Mateu Alemany and the reports suggest Ajax would give him much more control over sporting matters.

Cruyff, whose father Johan was a legend at both Ajax and Barca, came through Ajax's academy before moving to Barcelona. Since retiring in 2010, Jordi has worked around the world, including in Israel and China, as both a coach and a sporting director.

10.28 GMT: Napoli striker Victor Osimhen won't be moving to Manchester United as the Italian club want too much money, says the Daily Star.

Osimhen, 23, has 17 goals in 40 league appearances for Napoli after moving for €70m from Lille in July 2020.

United need potential replacements for Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani, who are both expected to leave Old Trafford in the summer, but the Nigeria international striker is valued at over €100m by Napoli chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis.

10.05 GMT: Marca claims that PSG are planning to push for Kylian Mbappe to sign a new contract.

Mbappe, 23, has a contract which expires in the summer and time is running out before the French giants lose him on a free transfer. Real Madrid are his most likely destination but PSG haven't given up hope yet.

The forward made it clear he wanted to leave Paris last summer, while also stating that he hoped his wish would be granted so PSG would get a transfer fee. However, the club rejected offers from Real Madrid of up to €200m and could now regret that decision.

If they can persuade Mbappe to stay, it will likely be a short-term contract with a realistic release clause that may allow him to depart if a bid arrives.

09.37 GMT: Footmercato reports that MLS side LA Galaxy would like to bring PSG defender Sergio Ramos to the club.

Ramos, 35, joined the French side from Real Madrid on a free transfer over the summer but has only managed to make five appearances due to injury issues.

08.52 GMT: Portuguese side Benfica have generated the most income from the transfer of players from their youth academy, ahead of Real Madrid and Monaco.

A study done by the CIES Football Observatory ranked the top 50 clubs worldwide that have generated the most income from the transfer of players graduated from their youth academy since July 2015 and having been at the club for at least three years between the seasons of their 15th and 21st birthday.

Benfica, who picked up €126m from Joao Felix's move to Atletico Madrid in 2019, lead the table with €379m.

Real Madrid are second with €330m, while Kylian Mbappe's former club, AS Monaco, are third with €285m after netting €180m from his move to PSG.

Chelsea are the best ranked English Premier League club, in eighth place, with champions Manchester City in 17th.

With €2.03 billion, English clubs generated the most money in the transfer of academy graduates since July 2015.

08.30 GMT: Former Italy international Gianluigi Buffon is set to sign a new contract at Parma which will keep him at the club past his 46th birthday, sources told ESPN.

Buffon, who started his career with Parma as a 17-year-old in 1995, is Italy's most capped male international footballer with 176 appearances. He left Parma to join Juventus in 2001 for a then world-record transfer fee for a goalkeeper of €52m and, after a successful two decades with the Turin club, he returned to his former side following their relegation to Serie B in 2021.

Buffon has played in 22 of Parma's 26 league matches this term and sources have told ESPN he will pen a new contract until 2024.

play
1:06

Should Milan extend the contract of 40-year-old Zlatan?

Gab Marcotti likes the idea of AC Milan extending Zlatan Ibrahimovic's deal, providing he takes a pay cut.

PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)

- Zlatan Ibrahimovic looks set to continue his career in Serie A, with Ekrem Konur reporting that he wants an extension with AC Milan. The 40-year-old forward has scored eight goals in 11 appearances this season, helping to keep the Rossoneri in the title race, and is looking to spend another 12 months at San Siro.

- Real Madrid will focus on the signing of Kylian Mbappe before they work on ongoing contract situations, reports Goal. The LaLiga club are looking to extend the stays of players such as Vinicius Junior, Luka Modric and Eder Militao, but they are now set to focus on acquiring the 23-year-old Paris Saint-Germain striker as the final months of his contract come to an end.

- Franck Kessie has an offer to consider from Aston Villa, reports Calciomercato. The 25-year-old AC Milan midfielder is weighing a number of options as he nears free-agent status, but despite Barcelona making an offer, it is reported that their financial package is less attractive than what Aston Villa can afford.

- Manchester United look resigned to losing both Jesse Lingard and Edinson Cavani in the summer, according to Fabrizio Romano. Lingard had a move to Newcastle United denied by the Red Devils hierarchy on transfer deadline day, and it looks as though the 29-year-old midfielder remains intent on leaving Old Trafford. Cavani, 35, is also said to be assessing his options as he approaches the final months of his deal.

- Wingers Antony and Noni Madueke have both been linked with AC Milan of late, but Rudy Galetti writes that there is no interest in bringing either of them to San Siro. Antony, 22, has been capturing the attention of a number of clubs after his impressive performances in the Champions League for Ajax Amsterdam this season, while 19-year-old Madueke's campaign with PSV Eindhoven has seen him ease his way through the England youth international ranks.