The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there's plenty of gossip swirling about who's moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Barcelona scout Villarreal duo
Barcelona are keeping tabs on Villarreal duo Jorge Cuenca and Juan Foyth, according to Mundo Deportivo.
Barcelona sporting director Jordi Cruyff attended Villarreal's 1-0 win at Espanyol on Wednesday, reportedly scouting the two defenders.
Cuenca, a Barcelona academy product, signed with Villarreal in 2020 for a transfer fee of €2.5 million, plus a further €4m in potential add-ons. The Blaugrana also included a option to sign him back, as well as a clause for 20% of any future transfer fee should he go elsewhere.
Foyth has previously been on Barcelona's radar as they tried to sign him last summer. Barca initially came in with an offer in the region of €20m, but any potential move was scuppered when the Argentine suffered an injury in August. Wednesday's win at Espanyol was the former Tottenham Hotspur man's first game since returning from injury.
Cuenca played the full 90 minutes to help El Submarino Amarillo earn a clean sheet, while Foyth came on in the 77th minute.
- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)
21:09 GMT: Napoli have announced that midfielder Frank Zambo Anguissa has signed a contract that keeps him with them until the summer of 2025, while the club has on option to further extend the deal by another two years. The Cameroonian, who was called up to represent his nation at the upcoming World Cup, has been a key player for a Napoli side that has lost just once in all competitions this season.
20:42 GMT: Lens are interested in signing defender Julien Le Cardinal from Ligue 2 side Paris FC, according to Le10Sport. The 25-year-old only moved to Paris from Bastia in the summer but he had already received interest from the top tier, while his performances this term have further convinced that he is ready for a step up.
20:18 GMT: Tuttosport have suggested that the rivalry between AC Milan and Internazionale could extend to the transfer market, with the pair both hoping to sign RB Salzburg's Noah Okafor. Milan see the forward as a replacement for Rafael Leao if the Portugal international doesn't sign a contract renewal, while Inter are also looking for a talented player for that area of the pitch.
20:00 GMT: Middlesbrough are planning to make Zack Steffen's loan move from Manchester City permanent, according to Ekrem Konur. This could come as a welcome boost for the 27-year-old goalkeeper, who was a surprise omission from Gregg Berhalter's USMNT squad for the upcoming World Cup.
19:31 GMT: Graham Potter has admitted that he will have discussions with the Chelsea board regarding possible activity in the January transfer window. "Yes. I'm pretty sure we will [have dialogue]," he said, as quoted by The Evening Standard. "We have regular dialogue so that's part of an ongoing process. Sometimes you need to reflect, to think, to analyse and if you have the space to do it, it's better. But we need to think about what's happened and what we need to do to improve."
19:01 GMT: Paris Saint-Germain scouts watched Andrey Santos during Vasco da Gama's 1-0 win against Ituano, according to Ekrem Konur. The 18-year-old midfielder has also been linked with Newcastle United and Barcelona but was sent off within an hour for two bookable offences.
18:20 GMT: As confirmed on the club's official channels, Bayern Munich have extended Sven Ulreich's contract to keep him in Bavaria until 2024.
The goalkeeper said: "I'm very happy to stay with FC Bayern. The cooperation with the whole team and especially with Manuel Neuer has grown into something special over many years, we are perfectly coordinated and I really enjoy my job. FC Bayern know that I'm always there when you need me. The goal is to win more titles, that's what we're all here for, that's what we give our all every day."
17.28 GMT: Udinese have declared that they won't accept anything under €20m for Lazar Samardzic and that he won't be leaving before the end of the season, according to Calciomercato. This comes with the midfielder drawing attention from the likes of Atalanta, Juventus, Lazio and Napoli.
16.01 GMT: Wayne Rooney has said that his former Manchester United teammate Cristiano Ronaldo risks becoming "an unwelcome distraction" at Old Trafford.
Ronaldo has started just four Premier League games since Erik ten Hag became manager in the summer. The Portugal international showed his frustration at being an unused substitute during the recent win over Tottenham by leaving the bench and exiting the stadium before full-time.
When asked if he thought United were a better side with Ronaldo in the team, Rooney told talkSPORT: "No, I don't think so. Him and [Lionel] Messi are arguably the two best players of all time and you can go either way with that, whatever way you decide.
"But I just think the things he has done from the start of the season; it is not acceptable for Manchester United. I've seen Roy Keane defending him. Roy wouldn't accept that. Roy wouldn't accept that at all. It is a distraction which Manchester United don't need at the minute, when they are trying to rebuild.
"For Cristiano, just get your head down and work and be ready to play when the manager needs you. If he does that, he will be an asset. If he doesn't, it will become an unwanted distraction."
14.59 GMT: AS Roma are considering a move for Barcelona's Hector Bellerin as a replacement for right-back Rick Karsdorp, Calciomercato reports.
Mourinho revealed his anger at an unnamed player after Wednesday's 1-1 draw at Sassuolo, a result that came after their 1-0 defeat at Lazio in the Rome derby, telling him to find a new club in the January transfer window. While Mourinho did not name the player, reports in the Italia media said that it was Netherlands defender Karsdorp, who came on as a substitute in the 65th minute.
"The mistake is part of the game," Mourinho said. "The unprofessional and incorrect attitude with the teammates displeases me. I already said it [the name] in the changing room, and I don't do that often. "After matches, I don't speak often with the team. I had 16 players on the pitch, I liked the attitude of fifteen. I didn't like one and I said so." Karsdorp's agent Johan Henkes said on Thursday he wants an explanation from Mourinho about his comments.
"We are surprised at Mourinho's statements, which point to Rick, without Mourinho or AS Roma mentioning Rick's name. We want an explanation from the club about the trainer's words and how he did it," Henkes told Dutch public broadcaster NOS.
"That's not how you treat a player who has been playing for AS Roma for five years."
According to Calciomercato, Mourinho had wanted to bring in Diogo Dalot, who he signed while he is manager at Manchester United, but the Portugal international is unlikely to leave Old Trafford having become a first-team regular under Erik ten Hag
14.07 GMT: Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has insisted that midfielder Donny van de Beek will not be loaned out during the January transfer window.
Van de Beek has started the last three games for his club but has struggled to impress. That has prompted speculation the 25-year-old could look to leave the club on loan in the winter window, but Ten Hag rejected the suggestion he would sanction a temporary move.
"A loan doesn't make sense," Ten Hag said. "Either he finds himself or he proves himself in this atmosphere or he goes [permanently], but for me there is still a way for him, but it is not going to be easy -- the competition there is strong."
13.14 GMT: Sao Paulo defender Joao Miranda has announced that he is leaving the club after his second spell there.
Miranda, 38, won three Brazilian league titles in five years at the club early in his career before spells in Europe with Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan and in China at Jiangsu Suning. He returned to Sao Paulo last year and helped them win the Campeonato Paulista.
"My last chapter as a Sao Paulo player has come to an end," he wrote on social media. "I returned to the club I love to try to live a little of those emotions I experienced between 2006 and 2011. I can say that I managed to do it. I will take it forever. With you, I made my dreams come true."
12.22 GMT: Arsenal have made an offer to Shakhtar Donetsk for winger Mykhaylo Mudryk, Calciomercato reports.
Mudryk has attracted plenty of attention this season after scoring three goals in the Champions League for Shakhtar. The 21-year-old is also a reported target for Juventus.
Calciomercato reports that Arsenal have made an offer of €60m to Shakhtar, whose deputy sporting director Carlo Nicolini said last month: "We are not obliged to sell, we do not want to discuss figures that are not realistic. But in this team, he is the most decisive. If you want to take on certain players who make a difference in the top clubs, you also need the right money."
11.36 GMT: Nick Cushing's interim tag has been removed, and New York City FC said Thursday he will coach the team next season.
Cushing became NYC's fifth coach in eight seasons when Ronny Delia left in June to coach Belgium's Standard Liege. The 38-year-old, who had been an assistant, took over after the defending Major League Soccer champions started with eight wins, three losses and two draws.
NYC had eight wins, eight losses and five draws under Cushing and finished third in the Eastern Conference behind Philadelphia and Montreal. New York lost to Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference final.
Cushing followed Jason Kreis (2015), Patrick Vieira (2016-18), Dominic Torrent (2018-19) and Delia (2020-22) as coach. He spent 2013-20 as coach of the women's team at Manchester City, which, like NYCFC, is owned by City Football Group.
10.42 GMT: Barcelona are working on a new contract that will keep left-back Alejandro Balde with the club until 2027, according to Sport.
With both sides keen for the deal to happen, negotiations are well on track, and the Blaugrana even hope to have everything sorted by the end of this calendar year.
09.49 GMT: Manchester City are working on a contract renewal for promising right-back Rico Lewis with his deal ending in 18 months' time, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Discussions about the new long-term contract are expected to take place in the coming weeks or months, with the 17-year-old having impressed Pep Guardiola against Chelsea after already scoring in a Champions League win over Sevilla.
- Lewis breaks Benzema's UCL goal record but he's already too old for others
08.55 GMT: Paris Saint-Germain have joined the race to sign Joao Felix in the winter transfer window, according to Le Parisien.
Felix, 23, is out of favour at Atletico Madrid and is weighing up his options. Atletico are willing to let the Portugal international, who is under contract with Atletico until June 2026, leave for an offer similar to the €126m fee they paid Benfica in the summer of 2019.
PSG sporting director Luis Campos plans to strengthen all the lines in the next transfer window, including their star-studded attack made up of Kylian Mbappe, Lionel Messi and Neymar. PSG are open to take Felix on an initial loan deal.
08.00 GMT: A transfer to Bayer Leverkusen is still possible for Inter Milan wing-back Robin Gosens, according to Sky Sport Deustchland's Florian Plettenberg.
The 28-year-old has so far endured a disappointing season that was compounded by missing out on Germany's squad for the upcoming World Cup, less than 18 months after his eye-catching performances at Euro 2020 which earned him his move to Inter.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
- Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard has publicly opened the door to a possible departure, telling L'Equipe: "Why not discover a new country?" The France international has long been linked with a move away from Bavaria and currently has 18 months left on his contract with the Bundesliga champions. Chelsea were among the various clubs interested in him during the summer transfer window.
- Lazio want to extend Luka Romero's contract, according to Fabrizio Romano, who adds that the 17-year-old's current deal ends in June 2023. The winger scored his first Serie A goal to lead Lazio to a 1-0 victory over Monza tonight, with Maurizio Sarri's side now sitting second in the table.
- Aston Villa are aiming to sign "an A-list forward" in January, according to Football Insider, who add that Unai Emery has given the green light to recruit somebody who can show versatility and play across the frontline. While no particular incoming player is mentioned, it is indicated that the new manager wants an upgrade on the likes of Emiliano Buendia, Philippe Coutinho and Leon Bailey.
-- Major League Soccer side D.C. United have officially acquired 29-year-old defender Derrick Williams from the LA Galaxy. Williams joins DCU in exchange for $180,000 in 2024 General Allocation Money, with the club focusing on strengthening their backline during the off-season. The Galaxy are among a handful of MLS clubs who could go for New York Red Bulls and United States defender Aaron Long, according to MLSSoccer.com's Tom Bogert.
- West Ham United and Crystal Palace are among the clubs hoping to sign 18-year-old Middlesbrough midfielder Pharrell Willis, according to TEAMtalk. Middlesbrough are hoping that the teenager, who is highly rated by Michael Carrick, will sign a new long-term contract while Queens Park Rangers are also showing an interest in him.