Pele is "completely fine," his spokesman told Reuters on Thursday, despite the Brazil legend apparently having been moved into a special care unit at the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo.
Pele, 74, had been admitted to hospital on Monday with a urinary tract infection and was said to be in a "stable" condition, but it was claimed on Thursday that he had been taken into intensive care.
#BREAKING Brazil legend Pele in intensive care as condition worsens - hospital
- Agence France-Presse (@AFP) November 27, 2014
The hospital said in a statement: "The Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein reports that the patient Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Pele) has been admitted with clinical instability. To receive the best care, he has been transferred to be monitored in a special care unit. The hospital will update when there is new information."
However, Jose Fornos Rodrigues, Pele's personal aide, subsequently told Reuters that the three-time World Cup winner was not at risk and had been moved to another area of the hospital primarily due to the high volume of visitors he had been receiving.
"He was uncomfortable with so many people coming. It'll be quieter now," Rodrigues said.
He added in an interview with Associated Press: "He should be out of the hospital in a few days."
Reuters reported that a hospital spokeswoman denied Pele was in intensive care.
Pele was released from the same hospital earlier this month after successfully undergoing surgery to remove kidney stones.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.