Capital One Cup: Man City hit seven, Spurs and Chelsea edge through

Manchester City scored seven times in the second half as they began their defence of the Capital One Cup by thrashing Sheffield Wednesday 7-0 at the Etihad Stadium.

- Fourth Round draw
- Mooney: Man City player ratings
- Pellegrini won't change plans for Lampard

Boss Manuel Pellegrini named a strong team, but City were frustrated by a spirited performance from the visitors in a goalless first half as they sought a first win in four games.

The contest turned in a frenetic 15-minute period at the start of the second half when Frank Lampard, Edin Dzeko and Jesus Navas all netted before Yaya Toure scored from the spot following a foul on Lampard that earned Kamil Zayatte a red card.

Dzeko added the fifth 13 minutes from time and teenager Juan Angel Pozo marked his debut with a late sixth before man-of-the-match Lampard rounded off a 7-0 win.

Premier League leaders Chelsea made hard work of Bolton but advanced to the fourth round thanks to Oscar's second-half strike in a 2-1 win at Stamford Bridge.

- Worrall: Chelsea player ratings
- Chelsea pleased to give fringe players time

Andre Schurrle spurned a host of chances and Bolton goalkeeper Andrew Lonergan was in fine form to deny the hosts, but French defender Kurt Zouma, on his debut, struck from a corner after 25 minutes to break the deadlock but the anticipated flood of goals did not materialise.

Chelsea's profligacy was punished when Bolton captain Matt Mills headed in an equaliser six minutes later with their only real opportunity. Oscar, however, saved his side's blushes by striking from 25 yards out after 55 minutes.

Tottenham edged the battle of the B-teams with Nottingham Forest, sneaking into the Capital One Cup fourth round after Ryan Mason's wonderful long-range effort inspired a late 3-1 victory.

- Brewin: Mason to the rescue as Tottenham edge past Forest
- Crace: Tottenham player ratings
- Pochettino: Mason a 'great talent' for Spurs

A combined total of 20 changes were made by Mauricio Pochettino and Stuart Pearce at White Hart Lane, with this weekend's north London derby and Forest's promotion push the clear priority.

It had looked as though Forest could leave victorious after Jorge Grant's second-half effort, but a stunning strike from Mason was followed up by a poacher's goal from Roberto Soldado and a fine Harry Kane attempt as Spurs went through.

West Brom's late double blast stunned Hull to send the Baggies through in the Capital One Cup with a 3-2 victory on a dramatic night at The Hawthorns.

Gareth McAuley and Saido Berahino scored in the final three minutes to rescue Alan Irvine's men.

Robbie Brady and Tom Ince looked to have won it for the Tigers after the visitors had hit back with their own quickfire goals either side of the break, but Berahino's winner two minutes from time completed the turnaround.

Paul Dummett spared Alan Pardew more frustration with an extra-time header to guide Newcastle to a 3-2 win at Crystal Palace on the only tie of the night to go to extra-time.

Teenager Sullay Kaikai had fired a last-gasp equaliser on his senior Palace debut to deny Newcastle victory in normal time, only for full-back Dummett to wrestle victory for the Tynesiders.

Emmanuel Riviere's coolly-taken brace had put Newcastle on the brink of victory before Kaikai made the scores 2-2 on the cusp of full-time. Dwight Gale's penalty gave Palace a first-half lead, but Riviere then notched the first goals of his Magpies career, one from the spot, to end his six-game drought.

Brighton breezed into the fourth round of the Capital One Cup with a 3-0 away victory that ended Burton's giant-killing run.

The visitors ended the game with 10 men after skipper Inigo Calderon received his marching orders for a dangerous high challenge on home midfielder Robbie Weir in the 88th minute, but the game had long slipped away from the League Two side.

Goals from Rohan Ince, Kazenga Lua Lua and Craig Mackail-Smith justified Seagulls boss Sami Hyypia's decision to make nine changes to the side held to a goalless draw by Championship strugglers Blackpool on Saturday.