Newcastle knocked out by Nottingham Forest as Southampton also slump

Newcastle United suffered a third straight defeat of the season as Nottingham Forest won 3-2 at St James' Park after extra time to knock them out of the Carabao Cup.

Rafa Benitez's Magpies, who did not score in their two Premier League games, enjoyed the perfect start when Aleksandar Mitrovic lashed them ahead after just three minutes, but Jason Cummings headed Forest level just before the half-hour.

The visitors went in front minutes later when Cummings struck again, only for Rolando Aarons to level again just before the break with an effort from outside the area.

But after a goalless second half, Newcastle were undone eight minutes into extra time as Tyler Walker bundled home the crucial goal.

Premier League Southampton were knocked out by Championship high-fliers Wolves as captain Danny Batth and Donovan Wilson wrapped up a 2-0 win on the south coast.

Southampton, last season's beaten finalists, fielded a strong side but were undone by two second-half goals.

Batth headed home the opener, and the result was wrapped up late on when Wilson scuffed home after keeper Fraser Forster slipped.

Burnley players were confronted by a Blackburn fan on the pitch as they won the East Lancashire derby at Ewood Park 2-0.

The contrasting current fortunes of the fierce rivals, whose grounds are separated by less than 15 miles, were fully reflected in what played out as Jack Cork headed the opener after 27 minutes and Robbie Brady wrapped up a 2-0 win in first-half injury time.

There had been a huge security presence in and around the stadium, with police lining the streets in the build-up to kickoff, but it did not stop a fan entering the playing area after Cork's goal.

Stoke eased through with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Rochdale at the bet365 Stadium.

A home team including Kurt Zouma, Bruno Martins Indi, Joe Allen, Bojan and Peter Crouch raced into a 3-0 half-time lead thanks to a brace from Allen and a Crouch strike.

League One Rochdale were able to offer little in response as Ramadan Sobhi completed the scoring late on with his first goal for the club.

Two goals in as many second-half minutes saw Huddersfield come from behind to beat Rotherham 2-1 at home.

A much-changed team fell behind to a Millers side searching for their first away win in 28 games when Semi Ajayi headed in the opener inside a minute.

But a 52nd-minute penalty from half-time substitute Philip Billing was quickly followed by Joe Lolley's winner as Huddersfield made it three victories from three games this term.

West Ham United advanced into the third round thanks to a routine 2-0 win at League Two Cheltenham.

The game was settled by two goals in the space of three minutes close to half-time as the gulf in class between the two sides told.

Diafra Sakho scored for the first time since November before Andre Ayew ran through to give Slaven Bilic's Hammers their first win of the season.