Chelsea win feisty clash at Man City; Tottenham and Arsenal hit five

Chelsea made it eight consecutive wins in the Premier League as they came from behind to keep their place at the top of the table with a 3-1 victory over title rivals Manchester City, who were reduced to nine men in the dying moments at the Etihad Stadium.

An own goal from Gary Cahill in the first half had put City in the lead and on course to go top, with the defender diverting Jesus Navas' cross from the right into the far corner, but Diego Costa found an equaliser after the break, latching onto a Cesc Fabregas pass before turning Nicolas Otamendi and firing past Claudio Bravo for his 11th Premier League goal of the season.

Chelsea found the lead on 70 minutes when substitute Willian rifled the ball into the bottom corner past a stranded Bravo, before Eden Hazard made sure of the result at the death, finding the back of the net following a Blues counterattack to send them four points clear at the summit.

Things went from bad to worse for City deep into stoppage time when Sergio Aguero was sent off for a wild lunge on David Luiz, with Fernandinho then also shown a red card for grabbing Fabregas round the neck and shoving him over an advertising board.

Alexis Sanchez scored a hat trick as Arsenal thrashed West Ham 5-1 at the London Stadium to move up to second in the Premier League table.

Sanchez hit all three goals in the second half, with Mesut Ozil and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain also getting on the score sheet.

West Ham managed to pull one back in the 83rd minute through substitute Andy Carroll, who was on hand to head home the rebound after Dimitri Payet's free kick had come back off the bar.

But the Gunners climbed to within three points of leaders Chelsea, while the Hammers remain just a point above the drop zone after a sixth game without a win.

Tottenham Hotspur boosted their top-four hopes with a 5-0 victory at home to Swansea City, who remain rooted in the relegation zone.

Spurs, seeking to get their Premier League campaign back on track after just one win from their last six games, spent much of the first half on the front foot.

They got their reward on 40 minutes when former Spurs full-back Kyle Naughton was deemed to have fouled Dele Alli in the area, allowing Harry Kane to fire home from the penalty spot.

Son Heung-Min gave Spurs a deserved second with an acrobatic strike into the top corner, leaving Lukasz Fabianski helpless, in first-half injury time.

Kane fired in a third shortly after the break following good work from Son. The England striker was later denied a third by the offside flag, but Christian Eriksen added a further two goals to complete a resounding victory.

Crystal Palace eased the pressure on boss Alan Pardew as they punished Southampton's poor defending to secure a 3-0 win.

Palace went into the game on the back of six straight defeats in the league and with mounting speculation over Pardew's position, but they took control of the game with goals in the 33rd and 36th minutes after some poor Southampton defending.

Christian Benteke got the first after Saints keeper Fraser Forster blundered when trying to clear a Jose Fonte backpass, allowing the Belgian a simple tap-in, and James Tomkins doubled their advantage when he found himself unmarked from a corner.

Saints had the better of the game in the second half but struggled to carve out chances, and Benteke rounded off the win late on after good work from Jason Puncheon.

Sunderland continued their recent revival as they beat Leicester City 2-1 at the Stadium of Light to add to the visitors' relegation fears.

Sunderland began the game at the foot of the table and three points from safety, while reigning champions Leicester's run of four games without a win had seen them drop to 14th, just two points clear of the drop zone.

Neither side showed much attacking intent in an uneventful first half, but Sunderland went ahead when Roberth Huth diverted a Jan Kirchhoff header into his own net.

Sunderland, who saw a penalty appeal waved away when Danny Simpson appeared to foul Patrick van Aanholt, went two up when Jermain Defoe slammed home on 77 minutes only for Shinji Okazaki to hit back instantly.

David Moyes' men withstood some heavy late pressure to hold on for the win though and, while they remain in the drop zone, they have now won three of their last four games to take their point tally for the season up to 11 points.

Stoke City moved into the top half for the first time since the opening day of the season as they beat Burnley 2-0 at the Britannia Stadium.

Stoke came close to taking the lead on 10 minutes when Bruno Martins Indi headed a Xherdan Shaqiri corner against the post, but they did not have to wait long to break the deadlock. Jon Walters, collecting a cross from Mame Biram Diouf, clipped a superb shot past Paul Robinson in the Burnley goal on 20 minutes.

They were 2-0 up at the break after good work from Marko Arnautovic set up Marc Muniesa for his first Premier League goal, and Burnley were unable to muster a response.

West Bromwich Albion made it three wins from four in the league as they moved ahead of Watford in the table with a 3-1 win.

West Brom took the lead on 16 minutes when Jonny Evans rose highest to head home a Chris Brunt corner.

They doubled their advantage before the break when Chris Brunt's free kick took a deflection from Juan Zuniga and rolled into the bottom-right corner.

Watford hit back just after the hour mark through Christian Kabasele, who scored from close range following a corner, but their hopes of an equaliser faded when Roberto Pereyra was sent off for kicking out at James McClean, who received a booking for his part in the incident.

Matt Phillips then put the result beyond doubt in injury time.